cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why M$?

Fixes: 104

Why M$?

OK so i have noticed on a few posts that people put M$ for microsoft, I'm assuming that this is because they see the company as an evil money grabbing entity..
..but why do they need to lower themselves and I certainly don't see anyone writing Te$co or McDonald$
Will Moderate For Thanks
26 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Why M$?

I think it is the Millions of Dollars he has suckered from us  Smiley Wink Cool Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

We are starting to vote with our feet Undecided Smiley and picking alternatives.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I think it's because with Microsoft there's the small consideration of them being a hugely wealthy company yet they charge sky-high prices for the most important things they sell. (For example, a full retail version of Vista Ultimate was over £300 when it came out.) Tesco and McDonalds are very big companies, but people feel like they get value for money from them; with Microsoft they don't, but they have to keep forking out for expensive OS/Office upgrades etc. just to remain 'current'.

I can understand those and i don't count myself as a fan boy, run mac and linux. But both those areas are money machines as well, linux only through support channels. Just think it's boardering on childish. That'll upset someone :-)
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I wonder where we'd be if Bill Gates hadn't come along.  I don't think we would be communicating through this forum.
alanb
Grafter

Oooh, bottomless can of worms this. But as I've started, I may as well finish.  Grin
We'd definitely still be here. Bill Gates was the man who said Microsoft could not see any reason for investing in web technologies. He changed his mind fairly sharpish when he saw Netscape becoming a multi-billion dollar company, largely on the back of one product, its web browser. Having done a rapid U-turn Microsoft set about producing its own browser. Early versions of Internet Explorer were pretty poor and in typical Microsoft style it took them a few attempts to knock it into shape. IE was such a poor browser in comparison to Netscape, it only succeeded because of Microsoft's dominance of the PC operating system market which meant that they could bundle it with Windows while everyone had to pay for Netscape.
We'd also still be here if Microsoft had not been around to produce operating systems. I've been working in IT for 30 years this year, so I pre-date the PC and can recall that there were plenty of desktop computers around prior to IBM introducing the PC, and some of them were very nice computers (I'm thinking of desktop computers from HP and Apple, but there were others). The IBM PC only became dominant because IBM was in the habit of publishing circuit diagrams for their equipment, which made it easy for other companies to clone the PC to make cheaper computers that could take advantage of the market in operating systems and application software for the IBM machines. Incidentally the original IBM PC came with a choice of three operating systems one of which was MS-DOS (but called IBM PC-DOS at the time if I recall correctly). MS-DOS was the worst of the three, in fact when IBM did a quality assurance check on it they found over a hundred faults. IBM fixed them, almost re-writing DOS in the process, and literally handed it back to Microsoft for free. (How dumb was that?)
The MS-DOS version that Gates delivered to IBM for the PC was not his own product. He offered to supply an operating system to IBM and when they took him up on the offer he didn't have anything to deliver. So he went to another software company who did have a working operating system, bought the software source code and tweaked it for the IBM and got a great deal more money for it from IBM. It's a similar story with pretty much all of Microsoft's really successful products. They're all based on technology acquired from some other company. Windows, for example, started as a joint development with IBM in the 1980s, for what was to become the OS/2 operating system. Half way though the project Microsoft fell out with IBM and went on to develop Windows using technology derived from the partnership with IBM. IBM went on the complete OS/2, it was far superior to Windows but Microsoft got their product out on to the market faster because it was cheap and thrown together, and because they were able to sell it to all the PC clone manufacturers, which by that time was a bigger market than the market for genuine IBM PCs. (IBM could not market OS/2 to the clone makers because they were fighting legal battles with them.) As with IE, it took Microsoft a few attempts to get it right - it didn't become a truly viable operating system until version 3.1, and didn't come into it's own until Windows/NT was introduced. (NT incidentally was designed by a bunch of operating system designers head-hunted from Digital Equipment Corporation.)
And so it goes on, Microsoft is not very innovative, but has been very successful in exploiting innovative technology acquired from others. As we know from various court cases it has used its monopolistic position to drive out competitors and enrich it's shareholders. That's the reason why people refer to it as M$.
This reminds me of a joke: Why is Microsoft like Coca-cola?
Answer: Because it's a marketing company that just happens to produce software!
Community Veteran

[quote="adiewoo"]I certainly don't see anyone writing Te$co or McDonald$
Good thinking. I'll start doing so from now on. They deserve it up 'em quite as much as Micro$oft
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Poor old Bill he must be turning on his Pension Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think you cut that sentence short, Pierre....
".....he must be turning on his Pension" ..... Tap, and filling up his bank account every day. Roll eyes

Bless him, he does give at least 0.001% of it away to good causes  Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

I did hear he was giving it all away so that his kids would learn the value of money the hard way Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Have you seen this  Microsoft idea of who is British Crazy
Loombucket
Grafter

You won't see me referring to the honourable and benevolent Mr. Gates' revered organisation as Micro$oft.
Oh no no no no.
...Micro$haft sounds better.  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Have you seen this  Microsoft idea of who is British Crazy

That article was about the UK, not Britain.  Roll eyes
The only mention of British was to a person from the "British Computer Association of the Blind".