Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I do not give to charities

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Why I do not give to charities

Not because I have been targeted as wealthy, far from on it, but I have experienced some rather dubious practices on the very few occasions when I have given in the past - from persistent mailings to information being shared with others as being some sort of 'soft touch'.

News such as this is not so much surprising as disappointing. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38230335

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Why I do not give to charities

Only time I "support" charities is the occasional wandering around charity shops, but that's a rare thing these days as they charge too much for the rubbish they're selling, that and the days of selling decent electrical items seems to be at an end due to the Elven Safe Tea rules on selling such things because people like myself don't exist and nobody knows how to check a plug to see if it's wired properly any more... Crazy2

Wish that we had US-style thrift stores, where they sell anything and everything, whether it's safe or not, cos they sell on an "At your own risk" basis, because risk is part of the game that is life...

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have those I support via regular  S.O. plus some ad hoc which I've carefully thought about; all using Gift Aid. Charity bags I'm very careful about, as some are commercial though seeming charitable by chosen name.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Any odd items I have spare I always give to the Salvation Army.

But that's more to do with the fact that a dear old Uncle of mine used to play in a Salvation Army band.

Back in the day every high street used to have a band playing on various occasions throughout the year.

nadger
Rising Star

I've made monthly DD payment to Cancer Research UK for over 7 years. Having survived advanced bladder cancer it seemed the least that I can do.

I also make a text payment each year to One Show Rickshaw Challenge to support Children in Need.

One that does wind us up is local air ambulance ( one William flies for) who often have a stall outside Aldi. When SWMBO tried to donate cash they refused as it was DD contributions only.

Community Veteran

Getting back to the OP, the saddest thing is the two charities who have been fined are two of rhe oldest and previously well respected names, the RSPCA and the British Heart Foundation. Previously they were comfortingly amateur run by people who really cared about the cause! But they have been taken over by "professional" managers on eye watering salaries who see it as a a business with the "running costs" exceeding the charitable works. And don't get me started on the RSPCA's political activities Ticked off

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

+1 Thumbs Up

Every charity should be made to publish the money it gets in a year, along with a breakdown of how that money is spent including the % that actually goes direct to the thing it supports.

CEO should be made legally responsible for the actions of a charity, the purpose of which is clearly laid down in it's rules and underhand tactics such as selling addresses or researching donors to see if they might pay more is wrong and it is the CEO who should pay any fines out of his salary rather than the charity be made to pay.

I suspect if people really saw how much really reaches the cause they are donating to many would stop giving or only give where their money is best used

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I don't donate to any charities. Not got enough money to give some away.
I do on occasion donate some stuff to the LOCAL pet rescue, or buy from the shop, but as has been said, charity shops are now much much dearer than elsewhere (at least round here).
Why pay £10 for an item you can buy new in Tesco or Asda for £6?
Anonymous
N/A

@gleneagles

As far as I'm aware, all charities do have to publish their accounts. Making sense of them if you're not an accountant is, of course, a different matter.

I have worked for two charities, and the problem with both was that they were increasingly being run as businesses. Both seemed to have really lost their way compared with how they had started, and were more concerned with increasing their income, and growing their 'business' (and therefore increasing their CEO's salary) than with helping the people they had been set up to help.

One charity (working in international development) went through a 'rebranding' exercise as part of which they asked their volunteers on the ground in one of the poorest countries in Africa who the charity's main competitors were. All I could think was 'what, aren't there enough poor people to go round?'

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Where there's money, there'll always be greedy gits swooping in to profit from it...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

notinmyname wrote:

@gleneagles

As far as I'm aware, all charities do have to publish their accounts. Making sense of them if you're not an accountant is, of course, a different matter.

I have worked for two charities, and the problem with both was that they were increasingly being run as businesses. Both seemed to have really lost their way compared with how they had started, and were more concerned with increasing their income, and growing their 'business' (and therefore increasing their CEO's salary) than with helping the people they had been set up to help.

One charity (working in international development) went through a 'rebranding' exercise as part of which they asked their volunteers on the ground in one of the poorest countries in Africa who the charity's main competitors were. All I could think was 'what, aren't there enough poor people to go round?'

There are only a few figures most people who give to charaties need to know,

1. Total money collected by the charity each year.

2. CEO salary

3. Total spent on management.

4. Total figure covering buildings, transport, etc

5. The figure actually spent on what it was intended for ie. RSPCA, that would be the cost of caring for animals and the salaries of those directly dealing with animals, inspectors, vets etc

That's all people need to know, not some detailed report with figures and graphs all over the place and costing a fortune to produce but virtually meaningless to most people.

Luzern
Pro

HairyMcbiker wrote:
I don't donate to any charities. Not got enough money to give some away.
I do on occasion donate some stuff to the LOCAL pet rescue, or buy from the shop, but as has been said, charity shops are now much much dearer than elsewhere (at least round here).
Why pay £10 for an item you can buy new in Tesco or Asda for £6?

I'm truly sorry for any one in parlous circumstances, but that comment reminded me of something whilst working for the then IR.

I had cause to visit a taxpayer to chase up arrears. It was clear he could never pay; situation was awful. On leaving I noticed a sealed Christian Aid envelope and commented. His reply was that, because folk had helped his family, he gave a few pence. There were others in a far worse situation in the world. Made me think, as a previous visit had been to a rich wiggler.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Maybe that why I support the local animal charity then eh?
I will NEVER give to any "people based" charity other than buy something in the shop. I have donated time to others like Cancer research.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Being from a military family, we always donate change to the veterans selling poppies. Also guide dog training schools as my wife has a soft spot for the pups they have with them Smiley

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Never been one for animal charities m'self and slightly off beam so to speak, is the amount of money that the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association has accumulated. I did read somewhere that they could run for another five or six years or so without raising another penny..... but that's another issue I guess, as are those standing orders which to me is a bit of a puzzle feeling as it does somewhat like monthly conscience clearing and akin to putting your pennies in the collection plate each Sunday in the sure and certain hope that your God along with the officiate will love you.... at least another week anyway.

Somebody mentioned the Sally Army, and whilst not of any faith myself we always put into their collection tins when passing - something about those brass bands I guess! They were the only organisation ever to help my old Mum out when times were hard for us as a family back in the 50s and when she passed away some years ago our family with long memories were more than happy to donate some money to them from her small estate.

Each to their own I guess.     

PS. Just noticed your post 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.