cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I always tip in cash

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Why I always tip in cash

Report from the Beeb about tipping. I knew it went on, so we always tip in cash - to the person serving us. And as for the service charge, if I feel that service or food had been particularly bad I will refuse to enter my pin until they remove it from the bill. It's strange, but in a crowded restaurant they don't want to argue! Smiley
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33849595
(edit typo)
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Why I always tip in cash

It's often down to convenience as to which I do, combined with knowing the establishment, what they do and how they treat their staff.
Remember that there is always a charge from the credit card companies too so not even the restaurant will get 100% let alone pass it on.  Wink
If in doubt, just ask the staff and act accordingly. I do that regularly in places I'm not familiar with.  Cool
Another useful input can be looking on notice boards for adverts for staff. Many places have them, giving hourly rates and some information on tips.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

I keep away from places that ask for a service charge
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A friend of ours always tips prior to any service he gets in places where tips are the norm, his logic is that by tipping before the service he usually gets better service than tipping at the end.
Apart from resturants the only other tip I give is to the Barber.
Community Veteran

I always tip in cash. If I've had good service I want to make sure my server gets the tip and not shared out amongst other staff.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m a yokshu man.... so I  don`t give tips.... ... as far as I am concerned... the price reflects the profit margin the establishment needs to cover it`s costs and overheads .. which include staff wages...  giving extra voluntarily ( a tip ). is tantamount to telling the owner.... you should be charging more for this......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Good Lord, People have to pay for meals in restaurants?!  That comes as a shock, eh what?  I must ask James how these meals are financed. I suppose he take care of it all. Never seen Charlie Boy dipping in his pocket.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

Absolutely.
My chauffeur usually takes care of such vulgarities.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

There are some famous people who pay for very few goods and services as they consider it's a free advertisment that they are using that particular firm.
More common in America than here.
Smiley
Community Veteran

The very rich rarely carry cash and the very poor have little or no cash to carry. Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
I`m a yokshu man.... so I  don`t give tips.... ... as far as I am concerned...

I'm a Yorkshireman too but I still tip. Most Yorkshiremen I know appreciate good service and tip generously when they get it Smiley Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
I always tip in cash. If I've had good service I want to make sure my server gets the tip and not shared out amongst other staff.

So only the waitress should get the tip? So what about the other workers that made your experience enjoyable?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

What's a "rest-o-ront"? Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: artmo

So only the waitress should get the tip? So what about the other workers that made your experience enjoyable?

The waiter works in a team with the busboy and will share part of the tip with him/her. Don't worry about the chef - he is generally well paid.
How do you tip?
itsme
Grafter

Tipping is backing the Black Economy.  Wink
I/we do tip, but  do people tip because service is good or the food been good?
Just spent some time in Paris/France were tipping is different and decreasing with reported cases that some waiters losing 200 Euros a day.