Why Can't or Won't the big stores tell us when they have X item back in stock

TORPC
Grafter

Why Can't or Won't the big stores tell us when they have X item back in stock

Surely in this day & age of computer databases etc
Store should know what they are having in - in replenishment of stock levels
Yet as consumers
We get told
"We do not know what we are having in stock until it arrives & is unloaded off the lorries, please keep trying"
Surely
They would know / even @ managment / store room level(s), even just to make sure all is present & correct
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Why Can't or Won't the big stores tell us when they have X item back in stock

Most stores I've dealt with (mostly Currys and Tesco) have been able to tell me exactly when something is coming in.
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Why Can't or Won't the big stores tell us when they have X item back in stock

Asda are particularly terrible @ providing said info
My local Asda typically fill a full row of shelves with empty boxes of a sale item, yet take a box to the counter & none in stock & they never know when they will be coming in to the store, sometimes up to & over a week can go by, & sometimes it can only be a day or 2.
Yet the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing
WTF
Grafter

It could be the same logic that has some stores put the next escalators in the same direction over on a the other side to oblige you to walk through part of the store to go up or down a floor - or worse, like the utter hell that is Ikea that tries to make you walk through the entire store to get to anything.
Basically, they want you to 'pass' (either physically or on their site) things in case you're overcome by an impulse to buy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Add argos to the list, swmbo got a reservation for an item which was out of stock but they said a text would be sent when the item came in, several days later we were near the same store so we went in and checked stock levels, 4 were in stock, purchased said item and we are still waiting for the text message.
I Cannot understand how some firms stay in business as customer service is dire.
myredhotcar
Grafter

Add Sainsburys to the list too: none of the staff seem to have a clue regarding deliveries, leading me to assume they have clearings out back and they sit about with walkie talkies made of empty cans like members of a cargo cult.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That's the way things are going
The market leaders Aldi & Lidl have a policy of when it's gone it's gone no attempt to offer service at all  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You can add:

• Poundland

• Poundworld

To the list.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

PC online retailers are the same ! 
if a item is out of stock , you get Pre-order  or ring for a ETA  ,,,, but yet if they have stock you can get it delivered next day ,, so how come their supplier cant deliver to them next day  Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Ebay traders.. they're the worst!
Just yesterday I rang one up in the neighbouring town about a rare tool I needed for the car. "Hang on I'll just check it's in stock" he says. Comes back a few minutes later saying it's not in stock and it's one that their suppliers send on their behalf. "Great" I said.. "So you're just a drop shipper who can't actually help me and told a porky about your stock on your ebay page". "No worries" he replies, "we can still get it sent to you asap in the post".
I wanted it the same day.. not several days later  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!