cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who would be so stupid??

Community Veteran
Posts: 1,769
Thanks: 33
Fixes: 1
Registered: 08-10-2010

Who would be so stupid??

I'm not sure whether he's guilty of manslaughter or stupidity....
http://www.huntspost.co.uk/mobile/news/latest-news/cambs_melbourn_man_admits_manslaughter_after_shoo...
At least he didn't buy it off eBay or Alibaba.
8 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Posts: 5,670
Thanks: 108
Fixes: 1
Registered: 11-02-2013

Re: Who would be so stupid??

its almost as funny as a report I read some years ago about how a "clever" bloke knowing that military supplied kit comes with "ceramic plates" went to the local store and purchased some high end crockery to use in his vest then lent it to a mate for a hunting trip who inevitably suffered the consequences of such "good thinking", not sure what website that was on though but it did make a lot of people fall about the place laughing
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,313
Thanks: 462
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Re: Who would be so stupid??

What happened on the hunting trip? Did his friends laugh at the floral pattern on the plates? Perhaps there is a reference to this unfortunate event?  Ceramics do work however if you want to google "Saab soft armour" you'll find a technique using ceramic mill balls.;
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
PembsPanther
Grafter
Posts: 246
Thanks: 2
Registered: 07-07-2012

Re: Who would be so stupid??

Complete, mindless idiots! If they wanted to see if it was affective why not strap it to a tree and then shoot it? Crazy people I suppose you could call it natural selection  Cool
nanotm
Pro
Posts: 5,670
Thanks: 108
Fixes: 1
Registered: 11-02-2013

Re: Who would be so stupid??

Quote from: AlaricAdair
What happened on the hunting trip? Did his friends laugh at the floral pattern on the plates? Perhaps there is a reference to this unfortunate event?  Ceramics do work however if you want to google "Saab soft armour" you'll find a technique using ceramic mill balls.;

ceramic plates in armour are somewhat different to the ones you would serve food on, for a start they don't become multiple sharp shards that eviscerate the body of the person wearing the vest, the soft armour system you reference is for structures or vehicles, the ceramic plates used in body armour are solid resin bonded products that cannot legally be sold to non government organisations in many places (because bullet proof criminals is a step to far)
as to what happened on the hunting trip the rather inevitable stray bullet hit the hunter who believed himself immune from danger (due to his protective equipment) struck the crockery plate which then shattered and the resultant energized ceramic splinters shot through his body and made a pattern similar to that of a shotgun blast on the tree behind him, luckily nobody else was hurt but that was one heck of a mess, they required a shovel to move his middle section where the plate shards had turned a section of his body into mincemeat
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,313
Thanks: 462
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Re: Who would be so stupid??

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Perhaps there is a reference to this unfortunate event?  .;

reference?Huh
BTW
resin/ceramic - you are mixing your ballistic protection technologies.  Grin
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro
Posts: 5,670
Thanks: 108
Fixes: 1
Registered: 11-02-2013

Re: Who would be so stupid??

Quote from: nanotm
its almost as funny as a report I read some years ago about how a "clever" bloke knowing that military supplied kit comes with "ceramic plates" went to the local store and purchased some high end crockery to use in his vest then lent it to a mate for a hunting trip who inevitably suffered the consequences of such "good thinking", not sure what website that was on though but it did make a lot of people fall about the place laughing

I ignored that request on the grounds it was already covered in my first post
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,919
Thanks: 514
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: Who would be so stupid??

You didn't ignore it, you just didn't have a clue as usual.
I will agree with you on this though:
Quote from: nanotm
ceramic plates in armour are somewhat different to the ones you would serve food on,

I remember seeing a program on TV years ago that explained the difference, how they're made etc but i can't really remember anything significant about it (starting to sound like you now nano).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 1,769
Thanks: 33
Fixes: 1
Registered: 08-10-2010

Re: Who would be so stupid??

Do you reckon this guy has a case to claim under the sale of goods act? Grin
As for acts of terminal stupidity, there are done real eye watering ones here...
http://www.darwinawards.com