Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who wants to be a millionaire?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Who wants to be a millionaire?

Never been one for buying one of those big win lottery tickets, and those premium bonds Mrs Minivanman has had since 1955 have yet to pay out a sausage (and yes, we do check in every couple of years) but it would be nice to win at least something sometime.

You have to be 'in it to win it' of course so to that end we have a fiver going in each month for the Macmillan Cancer Support which pays dividends even if we don't actually get a result ourselves and anyway, who really wants to be a millionaire. Roll_eyes

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
9 REPLIES 9
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Who wants to be a millionaire?

@Minivanman wrote:

, who really wants to be a millionaire. Roll_eyes

Me,  ... but I have the same kind of luck you do ! .

I`d phone a friend.... to go 50/50.... but I don`t have any friends ! ! ...

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes I would.

I want to be miserable in comfort.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

After yet another revamp of the National Lottery's Lotto game the jackpot can only roll over for a few draws (five I think) before it's rolled down to all tiers.  This coming Wednesday is one such occasion, so it might be worth doing the Lotto in order to benefit from the enhanced prizes should no-one have all six number.  A roll down has only happened twice so far and resulted in payouts of £138 and £153 for three numbers (nomal payout £30).

For those who want to get rich very slowly, a new National Lottery game being launched this coming week has a top prize of £10,000/month for 30 years (2nd prize £10,000/month for a year).

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I've always thought less was more when it came to those multi-million mega lottery wins.

Why not give more folks the dream of a comfortable life free from worry and restrict it to just becoming a millionaire rather than winning an utterly obcene amount?

If a million in tax free smackers is not going to set you up for life... 

Mav
Fixes: 431

It's said that money can't buy happiness...

...but it sure as heck can rent itCrazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Even before the National Lottery started the football pools paid out £2 mill. as their maximum prize.  Now - nearly 25 years later - that amount is worth quite a lot less.  In this part of the country a million pounds doesn't buy you a family home, let alone set you up for life.

I'd like to see a lottery game where the payouts more closely matched the odds, and I'd agree with a cap on the top prize of, say, two or three million pounds.  However, I'm sure Camelot studied the lotteries in other countries before deciding on the original 6/49 format and found that huge rollovers resulted in a massive increase in sales.  The lottery isn't about making players wealthy, it's about getting more tax from people who don't drink or smoke, all done under the guise of helping 'good causes'.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

@Jonpe wrote:

The lottery isn't about making players wealthy, it's about getting more tax from people who don't drink or smoke, all done under the guise of helping 'good causes'.

Yes, the lottery is for people who are not good at maths.  Roll_eyes

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

A million does not buy you a family home, really? Roll_eyes

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@198kHz 

Well we know the odds are not good and that those 'good causes' are not always the ones we want to donate to which is why as I mentioned earlier I have a fiver with the Macmillan charity. Even so I do wonder how much they or others actually get at the end of the day what with 'administration costs' or are they in some cases run by a separate organisation on their behalf.

Who knows, and just me being cynical... as usual.