cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who should we blame for NHS cuts?

Steve
Pro

Who should we blame for NHS cuts?

Today's campaigning illustrates the bizarre nature of politics in post-devolution Scotland.
The SNP's Nicola Sturgeon used a visit to a dentist in Falkirk to warn that the "cuts agenda" of the London parties will hit frontline health services in Scotland.
So far, so expected.
But hang on a second? As well as being the SNP's deputy leader - isn't Ms Sturgeon also Scotland's Health Secretary?
Is she not, therefore, also in charge of the NHS north of the border?
And, crucially, couldn't her party - which does, after all, form the Scottish Government - decide to protect the health budget from cuts by diverting money from other departments?
The answer to all of those questions is 'yes' - but that, according to Ms Sturgeon, misses the point. She says that such are the magnitude of the expected cuts to the Scottish budget, protecting frontline health services north of the border will become tougher and tougher.
The SNP claim Labour are planning to cut the Scottish budget by £30 billion over the next 15 years - with the Tories planning an additional "Cameron Cut".

HaHa everyones told to get a job and then they go and do this..
Full details...http://news.stv.tv/election-2010/analysis/169974-who-should-we-blame-for-nhs-cuts/
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Who should we blame for NHS cuts?

Typical political double talk, if you are new in government it was the previous gov's problems that are creating these issues, if not then blame someone else but yourselves for it.  Angry
Having been unemployed now for 3.5 years (jobcenter flunky -- certainly we can offer retraining IT - Me -- I already have a DEGREE in IT!) and no sign of any jobs locally (within 30 miles, I laugh  (sarcastic) when I go to a "job point" and search for new local jobs and it offers me a job 200 miles away!) I gave up signing on years ago as there was no jobs or training available, I asked to be retrained in a real job but it "was not on the table")
Owning a house I can't easily move to a new area, for one I can't afford to advertise and sell this one!, and so am stuck in a loop Cry  Crazy
Steve
Pro

Well i know Exactly where your coming from there, Im angered there cutting jobs in the N.H.S. I really am and also as i say they tell people to go and get a job!! Angry
win7xp
Grafter

"Who should we blame for NHS cuts?"
The scalpels
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I’ve a cousin who works as a ‘job centre manager’, she was bemoaning her lot the other day about the ‘stress caused’ by dealing with the unemployed, her staff taking time off sick caused by stress as they are expected to conduct 15 interviews per day of the long term unemployed.
This compares with a friend who is a GP he is expected to see 30 patients per day which includes home visits. One home visit recently he was advised to wear a contamination suit.
Something is amiss.
David_W
Rising Star

Doctors appointments are usually short and sweet (unless you really need a chat) so they aim for 10 minutes per patient giving 6 per hour working from 10pm-3pm lets them see 30 patients, visiting a few during lunch hour.  Due to the nature of the work it's very stressful to be a doctor, some patients need more time, some need less time (hospital doctors on the other hand work horrific hours)
Job centre though, you have to go through a long procedure which can take up to an hour talking to someone who may not really want to find a job, or who's hostile, they could be drunk, high or both so that too can be a very stressful job.
Who to blame for the NHS cuts?  There isn't a single entity, Scotland could happily aim for full devolution and fund everything through their own taxes, they could remove the free services (prescriptions, tuition fees etc..).  When things in Scotland are going good, the MSP's will claim it's all down to them, when things are going bad, it's the fault of Westminster.  We're all going to have to tighten our belts with lots of cuts across the board.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Hairy
Having been unemployed now for 3.5 years (jobcenter flunky -- certainly we can offer retraining IT - Me -- I already have a DEGREE in IT!) and no sign of any jobs locally (within 30 miles, I laugh  (sarcastic) when I go to a "job point" and search for new local jobs and it offers me a job 200 miles away!) I gave up signing on years ago as there was no jobs or training available, I asked to be retrained in a real job but it "was not on the table")
Owning a house I can't easily move to a new area, for one I can't afford to advertise and sell this one!, and so am stuck in a loop Cry  Crazy

Almost exactly same for me.
When your 6 months dole are finished, its pointless signing on (unless you need the NI credits for a pitiful pension).
Anyway, I don't see why I should rush around the country to get a rubbish job, to get made freshly redundant.

Fixes: 47

Well I'm just in the process of being made redundant after 23 years service, I believe because I am too expensive for my company.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Unless your contract give you more you will get 3 months notice with all benefits (company car etc) and probably the maximum redundancy pay of 27 weeks capped at £380 per week.
Edit: Fallen into the trap my former employer did by working forward from the start date to the leaving date. When in fact it has to be calculated from the leaving date backwards. The maximum number of years for redundancy is 20 and depending on your age when you leave this will be anything from 16 to 30 weeks.
Fixes: 104

If people didn't get sick that would solve the issue. So as always with the NHS it's the sick peoples fault.
Will Moderate For Thanks
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Strat
Well I'm just in the process of being made redundant after 23 years service, I believe because I am too expensive for my company.

Remember - it's the job that becomes redundant (not the person). Smiley
Hope you are a Trade Union member.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

Strat, I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope you have a package that allows you to take early retirement.
I was in a similar position some years ago when I was made redundant.  They got rid of 3 senior managers.  We were all in the company pension scheme that allowed retirement on full pension after 20 years service irrespective of age.  I was delighted with that but the company obviously was not.  Shortly after our redundancy the scheme was changed.
Good luck.
Community Veteran

Sorry to hear that Dick, you deserve better than that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

i was in the same position but as I was 61 at the time it wasn't too much of a hardship
One thing to be aware of - if you retire after the age of 60 make sure you get the National Insurance Credits
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
if you retire after the age of 60 make sure you get the National Insurance Credits

Probably not necessary with the new qualifying rules introduced a while back.