Who should be the next Speaker of House of Commons

Given that Speaker Martin has now resigned
Who should be the next Speaker of House of Commons
Given that they have to be a well established and respected MP

How will new Speaker be chosen?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8056042.stm
Speaker: Runners and riders
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8057450.stm

Given that the last three of four have been from Labour or Tory - I would like to see someone from one of the smaller parties so there is less obvious contention.
For someone really different how about one of the Northern Ireland MP's ?
34 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Who should be the next Speaker of House of Commons

Quote from: mal0z
Given that they have to be a well established and respected MP

Pass
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Respected by their fellow MP's that is !!  Huh
including by a substantial proportion of the MP's in parties other than their own

Ah well in that case a member from a minority party would seem appropriate.
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z

Given that the last three of four have been from Labour or Tory - I would like to see someone from one of the smaller parties so there is less obvious contention.
For someone really different how about one of the Northern Ireland MP's ?

It was always convention that the 2 main parties took it in turns to provide the speaker.  That convention was broken by the present government.  I wonder how much they regret that now.
Community Veteran

I think Frank Field would make an excellent speaker.  He won't be pushed around by anyone.
You forgot to give us your preference Mal.
scootie
Grafter

my pref is for some one that is all ready unempolyed to take the seat and comes from a average, hard working background. 
no uni snobs need apply
Community Veteran

It has to be a sitting MP.

Is John Right Hook Prescott available Smiley
scootie
Grafter

dosent sound like much of shake up of the rules then. same old system of mp's looking out for each other then who ever takes the seat.
makes me laugh is most the comments by MP's to why they didnt try to shake the shambles of system in to fair system before the telegraph ran the expenses story is that they say they didnt know the voteing public felt what they where doing was wrong and it took the comments from the public on the matter after the telegraph relesed the storys for the mp's to find out how the public felt about it all.
Community Veteran

@artmo - I think the last thing we want now is for convention to rule - we need to think out of the box and not allow the systems to slide back to past thinking.
You mention Frank Field - ? - I rather thought you were a die hard Tory from many of your comments - but yes Mr Field has been a very forceful and independent minded MP - so a worthy contender - but I fear to aligned to one side of the commons - so not able to have the respect of the right wing side of parliament.
I don't think Prescot is in the same league when it comes to this job. He had his strengths and weaknesses - which would not make him someone to control the Commons I feel.
Some good MP's from the LD's but again they just seem to be unable to get respects from tory / labour sides.
I have no strong preferences yet - still studying the field.
I'd still be looking for a candidate that is very different from what we all expect and someone who can manage the change that is needed.
Although I live in Scotland and obviously think there are some good candidates from here, I feel that because the PM, chancellor and many other ministers are from here - yet another Scottish MP as speaker would not  be a unifying force.
So how about a Welsh or Irish MP.   But we had a good Welsh speaker in George Thomas...........

And let's not forget that a deputy speaker has been embroiled in expenses controversy - and has to share some of the responsibility with his boss the speaker - so IMOO should definitely NOT be a contender and indeed should seriously consider resigning too.

Community Veteran

when you say '...convention to rule' if you are referring to my comment that the speaker has to be an MP then that will certainly be the case and needs to be.  Yes, I do favour the Tories because they understand how a country should be run but I also see a number of MPs in other parties who are honourable people and could certainly do the job.  Vince cable has ruled himself out but would have been very good.  I'm glad he ruled himself out as he performs a much important job from the opposition benches.  I can't say any other Lib Dem impresses me sufficiently. 
As for Frank Field he has a large cross party following and very capable.
I hope people are joking when they mention Prescott.  The man is a joke and remember he's had his hand in the till as well. 

Quote from: artmo
I hope people are joking when they mention Prescott. 

Well I certainly was......no offence Mr Prescott Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Apparently, Ann Widdecombe's name has been put forward. Maybe not as daft as it seem's at first glance, she's as near as a squeaky clean MP as you're likely to find, plus she doesn't stand any old truck with anybody. And, she on record as being totally horrified about the expenses of the last few weeks, and seems to firmly believe that any MP that has been caught with their fingers in the till should be sacked...uhmm! just maybe she might be a good choice.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Prescot has indeed made himself a laughing stock - but he did some good too. In the early days of the Blair government - Prescott did a lot to sort out transport policy and started  to resolve the problems the railways were in following the hasty privatisation of the Major government which panicked and rushed it through when they saw they were likely to loose the next elections. Sadly - the labour government did not carry the policy through and the railways still have major problems - especially in England and Wales.