cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who say's it's easy doing online supermarket shopping?

zedingrove
Grafter

Who say's it's easy doing online supermarket shopping?

People are always raving on about how easy it is to do your weekly shop online!
Frack me thought OK give it a spin, I lasted 5 minutes before going insane with list after list.
A friend of mine claims with glee that he can do his weekly shop in 30 minutes.... So!
When ever I go to my Super Sainsbury am in there for minimum 1 hour even if going for 1 or 2 items, and leave with 20...
It really is not the same..... Cry
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Who say's it's easy doing online supermarket shopping?

Don't you have a loyalty card?
Not sure about Sainsbury's but Tesco know what you've been buying (from your Clubcard) so, if you supply your clubcard number when you sign up they now present you with a list of your regular purchases to help with a 'quick' shop.
I don't like online shopping though, they are not as fussy as me when choosing bananas etc., they won't check the use-by dates like I do and you don't get the same experience as a real browse round the shop, to top it all off you pay extra for the service (including delivery admittedly).
I'd like to be able to walk round a supermarket, fill my trolley then just leave it for someone to scan, process payment and deliver (i.e. avoid the till queues and packing, loading and unloading the car).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I do - and I don't normally have a list as I do it from memory.
The only things I write down are the really odd ones such as 3 new low energy light bulbs which are at the end of an aisle I don't normally go down

I should read the original post more carefully - I would hate to buy on line as I like to check the quality myself
Fixes: 124

Quote from: walker23
I don't like online shopping though, they are not as fussy as me when choosing bananas etc., they won't check the use-by dates like I do and you don't get the same experience as a real browse round the shop, to top it all off you pay extra for the service (including delivery admittedly).

Have to agree with you there.
As much as I hate shopping I'd rather know I have the freshest looking fruit/veg/meat in the store. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they palmed off some of the left-over stuff assuming that many won't check their delivery immediately or just won't complain.
The only time I do an online grocery shop is when SWMBO is away for a while and I'm particularly under the weather.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've been online grocery shopping for the last 4 years.  Mostly with Tescos but lately Asda down to cheaper prices.  Plus a secondary saving with either shop, No impulse buys.  If I am in a store I am more likely to buy miscellaneous rubbish  I don't need/afford.
Setup a favorite list, then each time you order it is just a case of selecting how many of each.  As for fruit/veg Tescos win as you can leave the pickers notes on what to choose, sadly Asda don't have that yet.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
zedingrove
Grafter

As much as I hate shopping I'd rather know I have the freshest looking fruit/veg/meat in the store

Exactly my point, Buying dry goods online is fine, can't go wrong. But what about fresh fish which might be in the same bag as your bread?Huh
I just love shopping, went to an asda once was in there for 3 hours....  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The on-line shopping service slogan "You shop we drop" always makes me smile. Never buy eggs through them.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
gswindale
Grafter

Once we've decided what we're going to eat for the next week; our order is normally done within 15 minutes I'd reckon.  Much easier than fighting with the crowds in store.
No issues with fish being bagged up with bread.  We go for the "no bags please" option; however some stuff does come in a bag - either the fish/meat or the items they've substituted (substitues in blue bags - items they're keeping separate in white!)
The one thing I would say is that the delivery charge is nowhere near the amount we'd spend if we wandered round the store ourselves (even with a list!).
My parents on the other hand have a list and simply buy what is on it and that is all.  The list is generated over the course of the week (open the last jar of marmalade and on it goes etc).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Money saving ideas when shopping !...
1.Never go shopping without a list
2. Stick to the list.... do not be "sucked in" with dump bins in the aisles. or "pile em hi - sell em cheap" stacks....
3. Only buy BOGOF items if you "NEED" the extra.... e.g. additional mouths to feed
4. Buy the supermarket brand, or "cheaper version" at least once... to try it/compare it to named brands
5. Write your shopping list in the order of the supermarket shelves, if you can remember the layout of the store. (this also saves time by not having to go back and forth )
6. Never go shopping when you are hungry.... best time to go is after a meal, and you will not be tempted by the aroma`s inside the supermarket.
7. Use the smallest trolley you can.....or a basket.... less room to add that "little extra".....
8. check out the "almost gone past sell by date" section..... watch out for the guy/girl going around re-pricing stuff.... (usually done about the same time each day)...

I don`t like shopping.... can go into a supermarket for one item and come out with one item,, usually within 10 minutes... I always wait outside in the car, while her indoors does the chores !... (usually at least an hour! ! !).
Never done "on line" shopping for food....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We usually shop once a week and with the price of stuff most of that shopping is done at Aldi. The big supermarkets are always going on about how much cheaper than each other but I doubt they would include Aldi in such a list as it's £s cheaper.
I accept they don't stock everything and some stuff has to be purchased from one of the big main supermarkets but we try to get as little as possible from them.
I Hate this weekly shopping trip, even more so when the large supermarkets move all their stuff around which is a ploy to keep you in the store longer, they should be forced to give every shopper who walks through the door a plan of the store and what's in each isle. I Know there are signs over this isles but some of these supermarkets are so big you cannot see the end wall of the store. 
zedingrove
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I do - and I don't normally have a list as I do it from memory.
The only things I write down are the really odd ones such as 3 new low energy light bulbs which are at the end of an aisle I don't normally go down

I should read the original post more carefully - I would hate to buy on line as I like to check the quality myself

You don't half crack me up!!
Have been posting long enough for you to catch my style of writing... Anotherone has..... So think you should go back and re-read... http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106401.0.html which has to do with... http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106394.0.html
Have a good weekend  Tongue
kdoug007
Grafter

ok  ,,    computer  supermarket  shopping  , is  fine  if  one  is ill....
  but  if  not ,,  i  LOVE    shopping in the  supermarket.......
  there  was a  girl in  front  of  me  today ,,  with a  really  small  mini  skirt.....
i  forgot  what i  had  gone  in there  for!!
Community Veteran

Shopping is a great opportunity to interact with other people/strangers. Something which is getting a bit lacking nowadays.
Quote from: gleneagles
We usually shop once a week and with the price of stuff most of that shopping is done at Aldi.

It's also a good time to give my dear old Mum a bit of excersise and she likes Aldi's, particularly one always happy checkout man who often has a bit of a sing song and always says hello to her.
Though it's hard work for me in trying to stop her patting peoples bums. Wink
I imagine online shopping would be good if you just keep repeating the same old list otherwise browsing for stuff, forget it. I have tried.
zedingrove
Grafter

I have just had the most pleasurable 2 hours for a while, With my new motor in tow we set off for Sainsbury's
I visited almost every isle (excluding womens clothing and pet food).
Previous would shop on push bike, considering I now only shop for my self I managed to spend £98 and only bought 4 days worth of dinner.
Because they were having a special buy 3 packs (cakes) 20 extra nectar points. I now have 18 packets of assorted cake.  Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: ZedinGrove
I have just had the most pleasurable 2 hours for a while, With my new motor in tow we set off for Sainsbury's
I visited almost every isle (excluding womens clothing and pet food).

Hmm.... why did you tow your new motor to Sainsbury`s......      Huh                                                run out of fuel? or just saving it....
who did you leave with the motor(s) ?
seeing as you started out single... then somehow "we" set off for Sainsbury`s.. and ended up single, shopping for yourself... 
Obviously did not read my previous post about how to save money when shopping...  Undecided