cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's kidding who? Got my leccy statement this morning.

StickyMick
Grafter

Who's kidding who? Got my leccy statement this morning.

OK, so I arrive home this morning to find my electricity statement sitting on my doormat. On opening it I read it to find that the amount that I owe them has gone up Undecided. So I read on to find that it's been "estimated" Crazy
The reason I'm a bit Crazy over it is because........... I'm on a key meter.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Who's kidding who? Got my leccy statement this morning.

Being on a "Key Meter" may mean you are paying upt 15% or even 20% more per unit of electricity..... It may mean you are "pay as you go", but it may be worthwhile checking on some of the comparative sites, to see what other suppliers are charging..... have a look at Uswitch.... You may need to do a meter reading today, and again 7 days later, to multiply that up by 12 weeks ( the average quarterly bill) and see how it compares to what they think you should (could) be paying....
StickyMick
Grafter

The supplier that I'm with came out one of the best for pay as you go. I found the rest either charged a big levvy for the privilege of a key meter or they set their price per kwh too high. The statement is for the last 3 months Nov 08 to Jan 09 and I certainly haven't used more than I've paid for, otherwise the lights would have gone out on more than one occasion.
itsme
Grafter

Don't realise they still produce the Meter Key. Way back in 1988 I was an independent tester to validate the software used to credit the key and transfer the credit to the meter. The company that produced the meters was Schlumberger at Felixstowe, now called Actaris, before it was Schlumberger I believe it was Sangamo. Is your meter an Actaris?
Can't believe it was 21 years ago.
StickyMick
Grafter

Not sure what it is, I'll have to have a look later. But Schlumberger actually sounds like a fast food chain in a run down district Cheesy
James
Grafter

I thought Schlumberger were an oil company?
My Dad did a secondment with them (he works for BP).
Denzil
Grafter

They do make equipment for oil companies, and much more besides, but are not an oil company in themselves.
itsme
Grafter

I'm more fimilar with their Test Equipment especially at the time the EMC directive came in as they were one manufacturer that was producing EMC testing equipment.
James
Grafter

Quote from: Denzil
They do make equipment for oil companies, and much more besides, but are not an oil company in themselves.

Ah, that'll be right.  It was a long time ago Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: StickyMick
Not sure what it is, I'll have to have a look later.

Just out of kuriosity what is the Key Meter ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: StickyMick
. But Schlumberger actually sounds like a fast food chain in a run down district Cheesy

It's pronounced 'Slumberjay'  - and yes they make a lot of data logging equipment for the oil industry, which is how I met their staff, a few moons ago.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
Just out of kuriosity what is the Key Meter ?

Its a prepayment meter, you get issued with a card with a either a magnetic strip (magstripe) or chip and you go to your local post office or shop and purchase an amount of electricity or gas.
This is then written onto the magstripe or chip of the card which you place in the slot on the meter or swipe through the meter and the amout then decreases based on the tariff programmed into the meter like a prepay mobile phone except if your electric or gas goes during the night because you've used your credit and the retailer isn't open you cant ring up and top it up with a credit/debit card.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

techguy - I new all that.  I was asking what tipe of Key Meter it is.
I have a Gas Meter what is a card meter with a chip, thay are called smart meters. 
techguy
Grafter

Sorry Gary, thought you were literally asking what one was.
Smiley
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

We used to have a electricity meter that took half-crowns when I was a kid.