cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's been a silly @ss lately?

StickyMick
Grafter

Who's been a silly @ss lately?

Started threads like this on a few forums and they've been quite funny reading.
Basically, "we all make mistakes", said the dalek climbing off the dustbin. And this thread is to reveal those hilarious out-takes of life.
So go ahead and make us laugh at your expense. Tongue
My out-take for the week is beggaring up my dad's printer Embarrassed
He's started refilling his own cartridges, albeit unsuccessfully, because even after a refill the cartridge is still reported as being empty, so the printer refuses to print. Me being the clever son that I am thought 'He just needs to reset the counter in the printer's EEPROM". So on Sunday while I was there for lunch, I downloaded the needed software, put the printer into "Service Mode" and proceeded to flash the said EEPROM. After all was finished I restarted the printer, and the print monitor in Windows reported full cartridges Smiley
On looking down at the LCD display on the printer's fascia, I thought ' Shocked I knew I should have gone to Specsavers', but nope, it was there, glowing in a nice ethereal yellow. The printer had reverted to Japanese language. After 2 hours of trying, unsuccessfully to revert it back to English, via the next to useless user guides, I was getting a bit irate and hot under the collar. I decided to whack an email off to Canon support, who kindly supplied instructions that are a little more in-depth, so I'll be trying those this coming Sunday, hopefully with a little more success Crazy
As an afterthought, I did make sure I had my Sunday lunch before the aforementioned incident took place Tongue
27 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Who's been a silly @ss lately?

I once did a similar thing on a PDA. The problem was that the on-screen instructions to change language were in the currently selected language which I didn't understand.
Eventually it was down to a factory reset resulting in loss of all data and settings Embarrassed
Lesson well learned.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Lurker
Grafter

We received a brand new [shampoo etc] filler for our factory, and whilst I managed to change the language to English, if you ever hit an error code it reverted to chinese.
We eventually persuaded them to airfreight us a new controller, which was fully English. Cheesy
scootie
Grafter

Few years ago i was round my grand parents just before crimbo and my grandad couldn't get this music CD to work on a new 2nd hand stereo some one brought round for him.
so off i set to get it to work checked laser all things techno etc couldn't get it to play.
in walks me mum takes one look at it and says he's trying to play a DVD in it.
DOH  Grin  always check the simplest things first or dont have to many jamesons whiskeys

Mum knows best Grin
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I've lost count of the number of times I've terminated and soldered a jack plug or phono plug etc without slipping the sleeve over the cord first, though I'm getting better now in my sixth decade.  Roll eyes
Not young enough to know everything

Me too Angry
Community Veteran

Same with mobile phones - people grab their friends phone and change it to another  language  Grin
You then can't use the instructions to change it back unless you read the language
Have you ever tried resetting a mobile phone from Nokia - Finnish is one of the most unreadable languages
The older phones like the 2110 had numbered help pages so you could use another phone to do it sep by step, but modern Nokias don't seem to use that numbered guide anymore.........
N/A

Who confesses to not being able to get the wireless connection working on their laptop only to realise when you've checked everything that the wireless connection isn't switched on?  I know that I have done this in the past - hopefully not again though.

Done that too on an unfamiliar Laptop Embarrassed
Fixes: 105

Quote from: poppy
Who confesses to not being able to get the wireless connection working on their laptop only to realise when you've checked everything that the wireless connection isn't switched on?  I know that I have done this in the past - hopefully not again though.

SWMBO, regularly. Drives me insane..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Denzil
Grafter

I once spent a fraught half hour or so setting up some equipment in a clinic in Singapore, with the customer watching, trying to work out why there was no image from the video camera fitted to the microscope. I checked the cables, fiddled with the settings on the camera, and on the PC that was capturing the image to no avail. I then noticed the little port selector knob on the microscope was in the 'eyepieces only' position.  Embarrassed One small click forwards solved it.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Help - My computers broken - it won't start - I've rebooted it 6 times but it's dead, dead, dead!!!
Switches monitor on  Cheesy
Glad I've got journalling file systems... Smiley

Community Veteran

i spent a week re-configuring everything i could think of to recover sound on my laptop headphones only to discover that i'd stuffed the jack in the mic socket.
Fixes: 125

I searched high & low for my headphones a few weeks back...

...till I realised they were hanging around my neck  Shocked Embarrassed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still