cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who rang me

Simonwitis132

Who rang me

Keep getting called and all I can do is report these numbers to http://www.whorangme.co.uk
17 REPLIES 17
nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Who rang me

@Simonwitis132 

Could this be relevant to your post?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVKXIfrGJE

Simonwitis132

Thanks for the unhelpful reply
nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Simonwitis132 

Cripes! My sincere apologies. I thought you were another spammer. We get a few on here, usually newly registered like you are.

Why not get a phone that filters all calls and asks for an id. Such as this one..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Nuisance-Blocker-Cordless-Machine-Black-Silver/dp/B01AAGIIXE/ref=asc_df_...

I find reporting to those web sites doesn't do a deal.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Simonwitis132   If they are ringing your mobile..... and you do not get the caller i.d... I.e.  Mum... Dad... Sister.. Dogs home... Surgery.... etc etc..... then just let it ring..... usually will ring off after about 6 rings...  you can always "double check" by checking on one of those sites... just in case it was the hospital, and you haven`t put their number in your caller id.    after about 3 months, your "duff calls" will reduce to almost nothing, as you have not answered, the computer that dialled you will be programmed to not ring the number again, due to it being "not used"..

My wife used to get about 10 a day... from various,... and she always answered them... until I explained it to her. as mentioned, the number of calls eventually dwindles down to nothing... . now she ignores "unrecognised numbers"  but I always check em out..... on line.... just in case....

Simonwitis132

Sorry, I realise how the post may have looked but just needed a way to stop nuisance callers.
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

I’m old fashioned, I just answer the call with “Hello ?”. If there’s no reply within 3 seconds I hang up.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@Simonwitis132 wrote:
Sorry, I realise how the post may have looked but just needed a way to stop nuisance callers.

@Simonwitis132 From experience, I would follow @shutter 's advice. I have found that the most effective way of reducing my spam call volume from horrendous to maybe two or three a month. Yes, it does take a while, but it certainly, in my experiece, works.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Champnet 

Which fine as long as you are not up a ladder, under the shower.... or Roll_eyes

As for those duff/spam/ nuisance calls, they are time stealers plain and simple which is why we have one of those call blocker/guardian phones. I wonder why mobile phones do not seem to suffer from that particular malaise.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
petlew
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I certainly get them on my mobile, but to be fair I don't know if they've called my landline first as my landline has been on permanent automatic transfer to my mobile for around eighteen months. However they can be blocked on the mobile, it probably doesn't stop them entirely but it does stop repeated calls from the same number.

A surprising number of the nuisance calls come through complete with the number and country of origin, many of them start life in the USA. 

I can't remember the last time I gave my landline number to any person or organisation for contact.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Champnet wrote:

I’m old fashioned, I just answer the call with “Hello ?”. If there’s no reply within 3 seconds I hang up.

And by doing so, you have just registered your number on the computer as a "live" number...Roll_eyes

. so you should expect to have more spam calls... OOOPs ! ! .. Cheesy

By not answering "unrecognised calls".... the number gets registered, (eventually) as a "dead" number  on computer software and subsequently, is not called again... reducing the number of spam calls.

If the "unrecognised" number should be a LEGIT caller,... they can always write a letter to you,... as they should have your full contact information...

Having checked the number against the sites... and finding it is "LEGIT"... you can then insert that info into your caller records.. and can answer it in future..

SIMPLE ! ! Smiley

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

Entirely in agreement @shutter 

I used to get an annoying number of spam/nuisance calls, but objected in principle to faffing around with blacklisting, whitelisting or buying a special phone.

Ignoring anything unrecognised soon cut it down, and now unwanted calls are rarer than blue moons. Smiley

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

@shutter wrote:

Having checked the number against the sites... and finding it is "LEGIT"... you can then insert that info into your caller records.. and can answer it in future..

Sounds complex to me and time wasting....

@Minivanman if I’m up a ladder or in the shower then the call doesn’t get answered, then can always call back....

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Any unwanted callers to my BT landline have their number added to my 'Personal Blacklist' using the (free) 'BT Call Protect' service which prevents them getting through again.  If you have PN landline I believe they operate a similar system.

Unwanted callers to my mobile get their number blocked.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Simonwitis132  On the mobile I tend to use Eset. For some reason, Google Playstore now has a version that stops you blocking numbers/ SMS (don't ask me why. Some mumbo jumbo about privacy laws etc!) but Eset website does have a version that does just that. I never answer unknown numbers - no point letting someone know a number is active but if I do decide to check later and find it's a call centre etc I just add it as a number or SMS as well, to be blocked. Never rings or see any SMS message from that number again. Hospitals / doctors tend to leave voicemail or send SMS with a link.

If it is a new number and the number of spam calls gets overwhelming, ask for a new number! Inconvenient maybe but better than being woken up in the middle of the night. I tend to have the mobile set to stay silent from 10.30pm to 6am anyway. I control my mobile, not it controls me. Any calls etc can wait until the morning.

If it is a landline, are you registered with the Telephone Preference Service it isn't a catch all but is sometimes a help to reduce marketing calls.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?