cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who pays?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Who pays?

Just watching BBC "Real Rescues" in which emergency services cut apart a fairly otherwise fairly lightly damaged car. Fortunately the occupant of the car who had to have a very delicate removal was Ok.
But, I've often wondered, what kind of view do insurance companies take in these circumstances of a vehicle being destroyed by emergency services.
Obviously the welfare of the car occupants must take absolute priority, but in the cold light of day there must in the end almost certainly be a price to pay..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
25 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Who pays?

I've just had a look through my policy and no mention is made of emergency services but their intervention can easily turn a repairable car into a write-off.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

It will come down to 2 things:
1 age of your car
2 cover
If it is a new car then you will get a new car, but if it is older it will probably we written off, loosing you money, If the cover isn't comp then you get nowt anyway  Tongue
Community Veteran

I've always assumed the insurance company would pay so long as you had fully comprehensive cover.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Even worse if you weren't actually involved in the accident!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-20944339
Community Veteran

It doesn't make it clear if her car was damaged in the accident.
If the 2 people got into the car I wonder why they couldn't get out the same way Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: pwatson
Even worse if you weren't actually involved in the accident!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-20944339

Yikes!
There's another lesson for you, don't help people out. The bibie has always been against walking by an injured person but these days it seems you're asking for trouble if you offer assistance to someone. I still prefer to try and help someone myself but it has backfired on me numerous times.
What a state we're in  Sad
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
It doesn't make it clear if her car was damaged in the accident.

First line - In bold - "Undamaged" Smiley
Community Veteran

So why was it necessary to cut the roof off Undecided
itsme
Grafter

Because they have to assume they have broken necks and have to use spinal boards
Fixes: 123

I assume that as they were complaining about neck pains the paramedics were worried about spinal injuries - and litigation?
Itsme just beat me to it Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
spinal injuries - and litigation?

I wonder if the injured people could be sued for damages?
After all they knowingly walked to and sat in another persons car without revealing to them that they had neck pains.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Problem is the pain may only have come on a short while later or it may have just been a minor ache which got a lot worse as time went on.
This is one reason why people involved in accidents and say they are ok and want to continue their journey are strongly recommended to attend hospital for a check up as a slight brain haemorrhage may show no initial symptoms until several hours later.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
I wonder if the injured people could be sued for damages?
After all they knowingly walked to and sat in another persons car without revealing to them that they had neck pains.

Are you serious? A person might try but I doubt they'd get far. I could not see any judge seriously finding people fresh from an accident as liable for not having clear and balanced thought. I don't think anyone could be rightly expected to make rational decisions when in a state of shock.
Community Veteran

You're probably right.
As the car owner had just avoided the same nasty accident I doubt if she was thinking rationally when she allowed them into her car.