cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who pays?

N/A

Who pays?

Been busy sorting out someone's computer. It is a HP Pavilion desktop running XP.
It was full of trojans, root kits and goodness knows what else so cleared the stuff off it and went for a full reinstall which, being HP, you have to do from the recovery partition as there is no disc.
It's a pain in the first place because it always reinstalls all the (by now) out of date software so the first thing you have to do is get shut of it.
Anyway, got to the SP3 bit of the updates, downloaded and the computer would not reboot.
Ended up doing another reinstall as it wouldn't go into safe mode. Tried again and same thing happened. This time I managed to do a system restore and decided no more SP3.
Popped down to the computer shop this afternoon for a couple of pen drives and chap there said that I needed a patch from the HP site. Got back and looked it up and sure enough, all these machines are doing the same thing - something to do with imaging.
Now it's sorted and am typing this from the machine now.
HP blame Microsoft, Microsoft blame HP. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of all those poor folk (there must be an awful lot) who have lost stuff on their computer or had to pay to have it repaired if they couldn't manage it themselves.
I think that it is terrible that the consumer has to fork out money for something that is totally not his/her fault. Any opinions?
2 REPLIES
scootie
Grafter

Re: Who pays?

you watched the last episode of bbc's click the EU is trying to tightin up the terms an condtions impossed when we just click agree wen installing software so that companys cant get away with totaly opting out of any resonabilty to make sure software works and if it has compatabilty issues the consumer is fully aware before installing
N/A

Re: Who pays?

Yes, I did watch Click (as I do each week) but hadn't thought of that item as I was working through this problem. Trouble is, Microsoft push the automatic updates down users throats and in many ways it's a good thing as the average computer user wouldn't know what to select.
It's a trust thing really - they expect MS to do what is right so they go ahead and download what is on offer. These machines are ubiquitous as they are sold as budget computers by big stores such as PC World - even in my small circle of friends I have come across 3 HP Pavilion owners.  Not everyone is capable of sorting out the mess that it leaves them in and I just wonder how many have been scrapped or had to be taken in for repair, in both cases costing money. It's reminded me why I am so determined to get to grips with Linux.