Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is right : Dawkins or the Pope?

WildRose52
Grafter

Richard Dawkins plans to arrest the Pope for 'crimes against humanity'
Dawkins and Hitchens believe the Pope would be unable to claim diplomatic immunity from arrest because, although his tour is categorised as a state visit, he is not the head of a state recognised by the United Nations.  
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1265151/Richard-Dawkins-plans-arrest-Pope-crimes-humanity.ht...

53 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Who is right : Dawkins or the Pope?

Lost the plot on the other two threads,........  Cheesy
David_W
Rising Star

I don't believe it would be politically expedient to arrest the head of a church.  While the pope may not have diplomatic immunity as such, he is recognised as the leader of an officially recognised religion.  I also don't believe he can be held responsible for acts that were committed whilst he was not the pope.  If as the pope he has tried to cover up child abuse, then yeah, he should be made to answer for his crimes, but as a religious person, he'll know full well that he will be answering for his crimes eventually when he is refused entry to heaven, if there is indeed a heaven to go to.
WildRose52
Grafter

Community Veteran

Oh NO!..... Not David Icke  >>>>>>>  A G A I N !....

you seem to know his preachings pretty well to keep referring to him....

that said it goes on in this country as well  (particularly in Scotland - check the evidence on David Icke`s forum
and the group(s) on it in Facebook - thousands of members are up in arms about it)

yet when challenged..... you seem to "distance yourself" from him , as and when it suits you......

WildRose52
Grafter

[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
David_W
Rising Star

If you and I had committed a crime, then yes, indeed, we would be facing charges, but, if our parents had committed a crime, we wouldn't.  We can't hold the current pope liable for things that happened to grown men when they were children, because then he was not the pope.  If he himself as the pope, or indeed before he was a pope, is guilty of covering up child abuse then yes, he should face charges.
Then however we get into a *very* difficult position.  it would be trial by jury.  We are not allowed to discriminate against who is in a jury based on religion, it's illegal.  So we could end up in a situation where we have opposing religions as jurists who are anti-catholic itself so would want to find the pope guilty, or we will have Catholics in the jury who through religious convictions could not hold the man they consider "next to god" guilty of any crime, for that to them could be seen as saying God himself is guilty of it.
It's a political mine-field, it's a religious mine-field.  Christians are starting to feel marginalised in this country (I am not a Christian btw, I'm an atheist and consider Dawkins to be correct), if we prosecute the Pope, there will be uproar, why are we not prosecuting the head of Islam because of the acts of terror committed in his name (wrongly I might add, Islam is a good, peaceful religion!).  Why are we not prosecuting the leader of Israel for crimes against Palestinians?  We are not the world police, we should bring to justice those in the UK who have abused children, no matter if they are religious or not, but only in the UK for crimes committed in the UK.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter

He's possibly working on his reply to the questions you asked in the thread.  I know a few of us are waiting to see it.
WildRose52
Grafter

Oh NO!..... Not David Icke  >>>>>>>  A G A I N !....
yet when challenged..... you seem to "distance yourself" from him , as and when it suits you......

You know something:  you wouldnt even know the meaning of the word `challenged`
When you can stand up and speak out like David Icke has done here :-  http://tinyurl.com/yg3zdnb ;
then you might just come close enough to pass your unwarranted opinions but until then, please
dont critise those you know absolutely nothing about.
Frankly I quite admire his analogy when he speaks of men who are so timid that they have (quote)
`brains the size of a processed pea, and b**** the size of peanuts`
It kinda reminds me of a few people, who (rather than seeking justice in this world) spend their
time making cretin-like comments and mocking others who do at least try to make a difference.
I`m sure you`ll kind of get my drift.

WildRose52
Grafter

Quote from: artmo

He's possibly working on his reply to the questions you asked in the thread.  I know a few of us are waiting to see it.[/b]

Well, now you`ve no doubt seen lol.    and I think its pretty appropriate but some might not, we`ll wait and see.
In the meantime, maybe we can get back to the subject of the Pope -  and whether Richard Dawkins is right,
about having him arrested.
(just given me an idea really, I think I`ll write to Richard Dawkins, whilst there`s a few ppl who (allegedly) merit
being arrested on this same subject matter) LOL.
Hopefully Shutter wont throw this thread off topic again  Roll eyes

Community Veteran

Quote from: WildRose52

In the meantime, maybe we can get back to the subject of the Pope -  and whether Richard Dawkins is right,
about having him arrested.
Hopefully Shutter wont throw this thread off topic again   Roll eyes

I won`t............................. but you will................. guaranteed.....!
WildRose52
Grafter

Quote from: dgwebb
If you and I had committed a crime, then yes, indeed, we would be facing charges, but, if our parents had committed a crime, we wouldn't.  We can't hold the current pope liable for things that happened to grown men when they were children, because then he was not the pope.  If he himself as the pope, or indeed before he was a pope, is guilty of covering up child abuse then yes, he should face charges.
Then however we get into a *very* difficult position.  it would be trial by jury.  We are not allowed to discriminate against who is in a jury based on religion, it's illegal.  So we could end up in a situation where we have opposing religions as jurists who are anti-catholic itself so would want to find the pope guilty, or we will have Catholics in the jury who through religious convictions could not hold the man they consider "next to god" guilty of any crime, for that to them could be seen as saying God himself is guilty of it.
It's a political mine-field, it's a religious mine-field.  Christians are starting to feel marginalised in this country (I am not a Christian btw, I'm an atheist and consider Dawkins to be correct), if we prosecute the Pope, there will be uproar, why are we not prosecuting the head of Islam because of the acts of terror committed in his name (wrongly I might add, Islam is a good, peaceful religion!).  Why are we not prosecuting the leader of Israel for crimes against Palestinians?  We are not the world police,
we should bring to justice those in the UK who have abused children, no matter if they are religious or not, but only in the UK for crimes committed in the UK.

Start at the top - and work all the way down - thats my motto.
I do agree with what you say about the difficulties of getting a jury.
I know it has been said in the past though that whenever a Catholic priest gets found out, the Vatican merely moves them
to another area.    That to me is very wrong.
They should be man enough to REPORT them - just as others would do, but no, it seems they protect their own (and thats
what gets ppl so irrate about the situation)
Of course, closing ranks in these sort of cases is not unusual.    It happens in many professions in life.
Talking about prosecuting heads of countries, I did read (but Ive not got a link)  that someone did issue an arrest warrant
for the Israeli PM  for crimes against humanity against the Palestinians during Israels  `Operation Cast iron lead` (or whatever
they called it - something like that)    
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and they didnt do to good in Dubai either
Community Veteran

God only knows.
Time to lock this thread?
(awaits posting from God)
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce

God only knows.
(awaits posting from God)

He is still waiting for His ticket to be answered.....before He replies.........