cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who feels sorry for Sally Bercow

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Who feels sorry for Sally Bercow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9681881/Peer-to-sue-tweeters-who-linked-him-to-sex...
Sally Bercow, the wife of the Speaker of the Commons, and George Monbiot, a columnist for the Guardian are among those who will be pursued by Lord McAlpine for using the microblogging site to tweet his name after the Newsnight programme was broadcast.
Lord McAlpine’s solicitor, Andrew Reid, said the “nasty” tweets would “cost people a lot of money”, warning the guilty parties: “We know who you are.”
He added: “Twitter is not just a closed coffee shop among friends. It goes out to hundreds of thousands of people and you must take responsibility for it.
“It is not a place where you can gossip and say things with impunity, and we are about to demonstrate that.”
21 REPLIES
kdoug007
Grafter

Re: Who feels sorry for Sally Bercow

i  better  not  comment  ,,  just in  case !!!! ( haaaa) Crazy
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No comment.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Unfortunately, with her connections I suspect it will not be followed up.
I wonder what the "squeaker" really thinks of some of his wife's activities.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't feel sorry for anyone really other than those wrongly accused.
You can't go around saying things about someone without being certain you've got the right name. It isn't hard to hit google images and type in a name to see what pictures come up is it? - The victim should have done this.
You can't then go about repeateding the alleged criminals name on the basis of one person who hasn't named them on camera or even publicly. If you decide to over step that mark yourself then you're asking for trouble.
When several witnesses all come forward and publicly name that person then fair enough but that had not happened in this case. You can't go around trying to destroy people like that based on a hunch when the victims themselves won't even publicly name the person.
Notice how I said all of that and didn't mention one name, thats because I'm talking about a scenario. Not any particular person Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I hope she is suitably rewarded for her wit and charm.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I don't feel sorry for her.  If she's spread malicious rumours about an individual she deserves to be prosecuted.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Oldjim,
I would love to comment but you would delete my post as it would certainly infringe the rules for posting in more ways than one.
Community Veteran

I'm going to have to google this because I haven't got a clue what you're talking about ,  So as I am overqualified my opinion is  ................Allegedly !!  (allegedly make it all right, doesn't it?)
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
You can't go around saying things about someone without being certain you've got the right name. It isn't hard to hit google images and type in a name to see what pictures come up is it? - The victim should have done this.

I saw a newspaper report at the time which said that the victim gave the name he did to the Newsnight reporters  because when he first reported the matter to the police about twelve years ago, they had shown him photographs of suspects and the police had given him that name for the person he identified.as his abuser.  It was only after the row blew up and he saw a photograph of the wrongly accused person, that he became aware that a mistake had been made.
If this really is how it came about I'd hesitate to add to the victim's burden.  He was the poor kid who was abused, and I doubt he's feeling too happy about mistakenly involving someone else in the affair.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Shocked A conspiracy? Did the police deliberately drop a false name in to protect the real guilty party or was it a stupid mistake?  Shocked
Community Veteran

Quote from: tinto

I saw a newspaper report at the time which said that the victim gave the name he did to the Newsnight reporters  because when he first reported the matter to the police about twelve years ago, they had shown him photographs of suspects and the police had given him that name for the person he identified.as his abuser.  It was only after the row blew up and he saw a photograph of the wrongly accused person, that he became aware that a mistake had been made.
If this really is how it came about I'd hesitate to add to the victim's burden.  He was the poor kid who was abused, and I doubt he's feeling too happy about mistakenly involving someone else in the affair.

As I said, in this day and age it doesn't take a rocket scientist to hit google images to check things.
Community Veteran

police about twelve years ago, they had shown him photographs ......................

As I said, in this day and age ..................... google..........

Does not compute.  Cry
tinto
Grafter

As I said, in this day and age it doesn't take a rocket scientist to hit google images to check things.

C'mon, give the poor guy a break; after undergoing his experience, then years later getting up the the courage to report it to the police who gave him a name for his abuser, do you really expect him then to trawl the internet to verify it? 
Cheez!!
Community Veteran

If he's going to name a name then yes he, the police and even the BBC should have done so.
Not doing so has led to the wrong man being accused. His name dragged through the mud, a witch hunt and now lots of legal action. The BBC is also paying out mega money for this because they were also too stupid to do their research properly too.
Afterall, it's actually LESS hassle than attending an identity parade at a police station. Go to http://images.google.com > type name > hit enter > look at pictures. Done in seconds.
Visiting the police station and attending an ID parade will take at least an hour or maybe two.
While I do undoubtedly feel for the victim, he should have double checked because his single actions have caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people. I suspect at the time he felt justified in naming the person to the BBC however now he has to face the consequence that in his desire to name and shame, he named the wrong person and shamed himself instead. It doesn't do his cause or credibility much good either. If they ever catch the real perv who abused him the first thing that will be called into question in a court case is his credibility to give a reliable witness statement.