cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who can remember their first colour television?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Who can remember their first colour television?

I'll go first. 😛

Ours was a Philips G8 with a 22" screen, c1971.

Had it for almost four years and still working when I passed it on to my old Mum...which was just as well I suppose. 

74 REPLIES 74
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Who can remember their first colour television?

I think it was a Fergison or something like that.....even the adverts were worth watching in colour.....for the first month or so.

Tube gradually lost it clarity but under guarantee for 5 years engineer came out and changed the tube....there and then.

I was surprised how little there was in it, looked like 3 circuit boards, valves and a couple of transformers.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Ah yes, and those tube boosters - used to save money by not changing that tube or having to take the TV to the workshop. 

They were usually home made and incorporated a massive capacitor. I actually made and used one but they were only a short term fix giving that CRT a sort short sharp kick up the bum and not unlike taking a wire brush to a spark plug.

Blimey, the things we no longer fix.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

First one.... no remote control, apart from a single button channel change.

Teletext was from a 1-10 spin wheel x 4

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

ISTR our first rental set was a Finlandia, which we had for a couple of years but I don't remember anything about it.

Then we decided to buy one which was also a 22" Philips G8 with 6 touch sensitive channel change 'pads' (no actual buttons to press).  It also came with a 'clicker' remote channel changer which seemed to work by some sort of trigger mechanism striking the end of a short metal bar which was clearly visible through the gauze cover at the front.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I remember those clickers. 

They would transmit that audio click to the TV which would then (hopefully) respond. Never worked if our dog got in the way though!

Highlighted

My grandparents had a tiny black & white one in their bedroom for years. My mom told me that because televisions were so expensive at that time (I'm guessing because of all the carpentry involved in building them), instead of buying a color TV, her parents bought a lighting gel that was every color of the spectrum, which was placed over the B/W screen and simulated a color screen.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Being born in '85 myself, we've always had a colour TV as far as I remember, can't recall what the first one I do remember was though, cos I was probably 2 or 3 at the time... 🤔

Though my grandma did keep a couple of black & white sets in the upstairs bedrooms for a time, can't recall the brands, but I do recall wondering what the VHF bands were for on one at the time (I know now of course, it was a dual-standard 405/625 set) given it made different sounds from the flyback but there was nothing to tune into any more... 😂

And as an aside, I'm in the midst of repairing a 2001-vintage Sony KV-21X5U 21" CRT television, seems to have suffered a fair bit of butterfingers in its' life, but the main problem is a blown MOSFET, which I'm awaiting a replacement to arrive from Germany, cos sellers here must think those parts are made of solid gold or something...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Forty seven vintage m'self so grew up with black and whites with no thoughts of colour, and memories of hiding behind the sette scared out of my school socks trying not to watch Quatermass! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcKcat04pM8

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

First one was a hire jobby. All that green. I was fascinated by golf for a while.

Yes it had one of those clicker remotes which apparently worked by high pitched sound.

Which worked great except if I was doing a bit of ironing I sometimes used to use a spray starch. Every time I pressed that aerosol button the channel changed.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

1967 was the first colour tv, can't remember the make but it came in a huge cabinet with folding doors.

Took it with us when we moved to the east coast in 1970, it was the only colour set in town and we were very popular when  the Cup Final was on. Fortunately in was in my parents hotel bar....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

Which is why we used to have the likes of Radio Rentals, Visionhire, DER....

All gone now, but back in the late 60s (the era of the infamous Philips G6) a colour TV would set you back about £300 which today would equate to at least a grand I'd have thought. 

My parents used to rent a 19" Pye black and white. Seem to recall it was about 6/- a week. Mum also hired a washing machine one day a week for 2/-. 😬

@Champnet 

We used to joke that the size of the television was directly proportional to the accessibility of the premises - and pubs were the worst. How the heck they never fell off those high corner stands!

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

My Gran never had a colour set in the house, she said it was 'unnatural', I assume this was based on the fact that monochrome came out first, either that or she was just bonkers. No amount of "But Gran you can see in colour and that's natural." would persuade her, so I know where my money lies.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

@Champnet 

We used to joke that the size of the television was directly proportional to the accessibility of the premises - and pubs were the worst. How the heck they never fell off those high corner stands!

Ours had it's own feet, no stand just big feet. 

A note for the elder audiophiles out there : We fitted a box which had a sensor capable of picking up stray sound emissions (!) which then connected to an external amp & speakers....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@elhaxi wrote:

My grandparents had a tiny black & white one in their bedroom for years. My mom told me that because televisions were so expensive at that time (I'm guessing because of all the carpentry involved in building them), instead of buying a color TV, her parents bought a lighting gel that was every color of the spectrum, which was placed over the B/W screen and simulated a color screen.

I remember those being advertised but never saw one in use.

The favourite question before colour tv arrived was can you get colour on a B&W set.....

I recall they did broadcast a spinning wheel on B&W which looked like a washed out green colour.....clearly it was a optical illusion but perhaps gave some the idea you could really get colour on a B&W set.

I guess some on here can even remember getting their first B&W set....what year did you get your B&W set ?