cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who can enter your house without a warrant

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Who can enter your house without a warrant

SEVENTY-FIVE Town Hall “snoopers” have assumed powers to enter people’s homes in Poole without a warrant and search for information.
And in neighbouring Bournemouth 54 council officers hold power of entry under a raft of intrusive laws allowing them into homes uninvited.
While North Dorset District Council has 29 “snoopers”, Dorset County Council has 23, Christchurch 19 and 16 Purbeck District Council staff have power of entry.
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4822608.Councils_have_powers_to_enter_residents____homes_without_a_warrant/
This gives the nationwide picture http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/home/2009/12/barging-in-estimated-20000-council-officers-in-britai...
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Who can enter your house without a warrant

Well we have the Freedom of Information Act to snoop into their affairs Roll eyes Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

Think I know what my reaction would be if someone tried it.
There again I recently threw a gas meter reader off our property ( verbally) for suggesting he had to check meter in case we were fiddling.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not sure of that papers fact as this I dont think is true
“People are entitled to privacy in their own homes and only the police should have power to enter them with a warrant.”

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/the-rights-of-suspects/police-powers-to-search-premises/entr...
Community Veteran

how does one tell the difference between a council worker exercising its 'right of entry' and a criminal seeking valuables to make off with?
any non-uniformed body showing up at mine would be told to get a uniformed police officer to ensure probity.  that or go forth and multiply.
Community Veteran

A couple of points:
>Officers can't "assume powers", they have to be given them by legislation.
>Define "private property" - business premises, (including shops) are private property, and as a Trading Standards Officer, I have a right of entry "without warrant", to any place not used solely as a dwelling, in order to carry out certain duties (I won't bore you with the detail).  This isn't new - TSOs have had those powers for at least 100 years.

If we're talking about right of entry to my home, without warrant (or some due cause to believe that an offence is being committed, and that the time taken to get a warrant will defeat the enforcement of the law), then, like any citizen, I would be against it, and happily vote out of office any MP who was responsible for providing those powers to "an official".
John
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Geeeeeeeeeeee 80 Officers from Middlesbrough Council have the rite to enter with out a warrant.  Angry
From Here
Community Veteran

Yes MC, but what have they got the right to enter and do?
They can't just knock on your door, and say "Hi, we just thought we'd drop in for a cup of tea"!  As I said earlier, they have to have a reason.  I notice on the list, that Essex County Council has 80 officers listed.  I would be willing to bet that the majority of those are Trading Standards Officers, and as I also said, we only have a right of entry to premises not used solely as a dwelling. In other words, if someone is running a business from their home (for example burning Counterfeit DVDs), we have a right to enter without a warrant, in order to find out what they're doing, and even then, we almost always get a warrant, and take along a police officer (just because it makes the job easier all round), and we never enter a person's home without reason to believe that offences are being committed.
That's not a fishing expedition, or even suspicion.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

in addition to the Essex County, Braintree had 27, What?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Gary (MC) Thanks for the Link.
Had one visit us back in November, very polite, wanted to inspect our loft insulation, rang 1st to make an appointment asked if it would be OK
Turned up (with slippers), peered in our various lofts and said our loft insulation wasn't up to standard (we've 6", something like 10" is recommended).
Informed us a grant was available to bring it up to 10".
We could do it ourselves and submit a bill to the council (another inspection), or we could get a contractor in.
I don't think all inspections are bad.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What gets me is how the police who are supposed to protect us, break crime rings etc are now the only ones who need a warrant which in effect means that they are more restricted than all these other officers.
Yet the taxman, customs, council plods, royal mail, etc can come and make your life hell at any given moment for pretty much anything.
Anyone get the feeling we're heading down the road to communism?
Just to recap, the police now have less power to enter your home than the local council. Who trusts politicians?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!