Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who believes in ghosts?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Who believes in ghosts?

I'm with the writer of this article, as I'm also more atheist than agnostic and yet, I'm really on the fence with this one having lived in a house where all was not as it seemed.

It was our first one, a small Victorian semi and the sort that had a very steep staircase at the top of which were two bedrooms - one going off to the right which we used, and one going off to the left which we never could for some reason. The one going off to the left had another small 'step down' room going off from it and which overlooked the back garden and for the life of me I could never bring myself to go into. It really was all rather odd and although I never encountered 'a ghost', when working in the garden I always had the feeling that there was a small girl staring out from that back window. Would I look up? Not on your nelly!

We sold up after just a year much to the relief of both of us and have never been back even to the area since. Are there troubled souls that hang around, or do we really live in a multi-dimensional universe and one in which previous or even future lives cross over.

A strange but true story, and believe it or not as you will. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/28/halloween-confession-believe-ghosts

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Who believes in ghosts?

I have to say yes. But as you say are "ghosts" ghosts as written in myth and legend or something else.

Mind you most people would write me off as a crank considering that I have also seen a flying saucer. More the flying cigar type actually.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I dont know about Ghosts as such , but there loads of unexplained incidences .

Hence why there are so many Paranormal society's around

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

We once hired a self catering farm cottage in Ilfracombe Cornwall for a week but I couldn't step into the traditional kitchen. It had a step down into it and flag stone floor. It was cold even with the sun streaming through the window and I found it really eerie and was most uncomfortable around that area of the cottage. We didn't even eat breakfast, we went out for all meals. If I remember correctly we left a couple of day early too.

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Mayfly wrote:

We once hired a self catering farm cottage in Ilfracombe Cornwall ...

We once hired a self catering farm cottage in Ilfracombe Cornwall Devon ...   Wink

Community Veteran

I definitely believe in ghosts! 

I worked in a bakery in ipswich, R M Scott, the entrance was in Tower Lane. Working as a single hand ( solo ) night baker I would hear  music. Though to call it hearing is wrong as you couldn't define what it was and couldn't locate the source. There was a theatre above the bakery and a church opposite - I went to both on many occasions to see if I could catch someone practising on the organ or upstairs with a radio on, but all in darkness and silence.

I asked one of the other bakers if he had heard this and he admitted that he had. There was one other baker who had refused to do nights, we asked him if he had heard anything? He went straight into vehement denial mode, and refused to talk about anything that happened when he worked nights before his refusal. He did go white though when we first spoke to him!

Also locked doors  (Yale and padbolt) would open on their own. This used to worry me so I dusted the floor with Flour to see if anyone stepped into it- no one ever did though the doors kept opening. 

It became so commonplace that I used to 'talk' to the ghost. I nearly dropped to the floor when I told the ghost to "put the kettle on" and it replies "OK, hope you got some biscuits to go with it". 

It was a local Bobby popped in to see why the front door was open!! 

He became a regular as did others on night duty.

The ghost is now making its presence felt in Scott walk (named after the bakery) that is in the Buttermarket shopping centre built on that location now.

Fixes: 125

Love a good ghost story and some do send tingles down my spine but that's all they are... stories. Don't believe in ghosts.

A friend of mine years ago swore that the florist he worked in was haunted as there were various noises when working at night and toast could frequently be smelt although there was no toaster in the property.

Why do ghosts only seem to 'appear' at night or in darkened rooms? I think there will be a rational explanation for all these experiences we just haven't worked out what they are, yet.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

"A house with a death in it can never again be bought or sold by the living, it can only be borrowed from the ghosts that have stayed behind........"

Netflix: I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House 

Spooky! Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

@Minivanman

funnily enough I was looking at the synopsis and reviews on IMDB just now. Some of the reviews are not favourable but that never puts me off so will be watching it in the next few days.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I do not believe in ghosts or anything of that nature, if you look back over the centuries there are many written records of people seeing vampires, fairies, big foot, and a host of other things but these days most of these things have been forgotten and it was just down to peoples imigination, bit like flying saucers or crop circles, years ago they were everywhere now they hardly get a mention.

These days almost everybody has a camera or a phone with a camera, if these things are so common where are all the photographs of them ? (excluding photoshop versions)

Do people see things, yes they do but can you trust your eyes, or is your brain just projecting a image and what you see is not really there.

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Im kinda on the fence with this one, unless something happens to me or i see something i really cant explain then maybe ill feel differently.

But anything is possible because we are part of an ever growing universe that we still know nothing about Wink

I must say this video does make me laugh 

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

@ RobPN Sorry yes, I first wrote Bude thinking that's where we were, then realised it was Ilfracombe.