cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Community Veteran

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

..........one 17 year old does - or to be accurate he has already become a millionaire  Clever app which he has sold to Yahoo.
Millionaire
Good luck to him Smiley
16 REPLIES
AdamD
Grafter

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

If only i had that money!
Community Veteran

Good on him!  Smiley
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

He was interviewed on LBC this morning and came across as a really nice, down to earth guy Smiley
Razer
Grafter

A lovely, heart warming story of the have's having more. Aww.
Nick, pictured below, lives at home with his father,  an energy financier in the City and mother who is a lawyer. ...
... "I don’t have many living expenses.”

No, of course he doesn't.
alanb
Grafter

I bet he is a happy lad.
Reading between the lines I reckon there is more to this story than the rather naive media reporting is saying. According to the 'about' section of the product's web site, several people are working on this software, who all together have many decades of technology and business experience. I imagine they are the ones that are really driving development of the software and the web services that allow it to work on a large scale, to turn what may have been a neat idea into a into an effective product with wider appeal.
Despite the claims that this is not about the money, cashing out in this way and withdrawing the product from the market suggests that it is only about the money. All the customers that have already installed the product and helped to make it successful have effectively been dumped. Nothing has been said about keeping the back-end services operating to continue sending data-feeds to the million or so existing users either. It is now up to Yahoo whether it is relaunched in similar form, or whether they use the technology for something else and kill the current product entirely.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well good on him!
Quote from: Razer
A lovely, heart warming story of the have's having more. Aww.
Nick, pictured below, lives at home with his father,  an energy financier in the City and mother who is a lawyer. ...
... "I don’t have many living expenses.”

No, of course he doesn't.

You will meet artmos wrath shortly.. My view is similar to yours though.. kid from a well to do home is always going to be smart and have access to expensive tech and tools before others and will naturally be more successful as they're always a step ahead.
Quote from: alanb
I bet he is a happy lad.
Reading between the lines I reckon there is more to this story than the rather naive media reporting is saying. According to the 'about' section of the product's web site, several people are working on this software, who all together have many decades of technology and business experience. I imagine they are the ones that are really driving development of the software and the web services that allow it to work on a large scale

I couldn't help but wonder if there was more to it too. Apps that are that good, that successful and that wanted by folks are not one-man-apps. There is no way a 17 year old kid could be living a life, hanging out with mates, going out, partying etc while developing such a complex app that can work so sucessfully on so many websites. I used to do some programming myself and it just isn't as straight forward as people think especially when you end up dealing with threads, memory leaks etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Whatever people say he's done very well for himself. Companies don't pay large sums of money for nothing.
itsme
Grafter

Copyright, mother is a lawyer.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Whatever people say he's done very well for himself.

Yes without a doubt and it still proves that there is hope for the UK when it comes to making stuff too!
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: Sprite

You will meet artmos wrath shortly.. My view is similar to yours though.. kid from a well to do home is always going to be smart and have access to expensive tech and tools before others and will naturally be more successful as they're always a step ahead.

You currently have access to the tech he has.  A computer and the internet, that's really all you need, plus a desire to learn programming.  From what I recall, the kid at 15 with an interest in programming started to learn about procedures and such, he then thought "ohh, wouldn't it be cool if...." and built a programme based on that.  If you can sit down and look at something which would make life easier for people who own smartphones and which currently isn't being fulfilled, then there is nothing in this world stopping you from creating it.  You don't even need to own a smartphone to make the app, it'll run through an emulator on your PC, all it requires is the desire to make the product.
Once you've created it you have to market it yourself, get it positive, glowing reviews, you have to be your own PR agency to really push the product so people start downloading and using it, get enough traction and enough people using it, ensure it has a social side to it (to attract the social media websites) and before long you'll be offered a bit of cash for the product so that the social media site can have access to the most important thing, your customers.
This kids product made looking for relevant news articles easy, instead of showing just the title or the first few lines of the article is showed the parts of the article you were searching for to see if it was what you were after rather than reading several stories which didn't contain what you needed but had a title which suggested it did.  So, if you can think of a product which people would find useful and use often you can spend a few weeks learning a programming language (Java or C# unless you own a Mac in which case Objective C), build the app and try to be a millionaire before 2014.  It's not easy though, plenty of people who are much smarter than this lad will have tried to do that and failed, he didn't succeed because of his background or his parents, none of that matters, he managed it because his product was useful, used by a lot of people so had value.
Community Veteran

@David W, I agree with your comments.  There can be no doubt his app was a good and useful one or Yahoo wouldn't have been interested.  Why can't we just be pleased for the guy instead of envious? 
Community Veteran

I'm certainly not envious, I'm certainly glad he's done well and proud that he's british! We don't export much these days compared to decades ago so its good to know that we're still doing things and that the young especially are determined to turn this country around somehow.
I was simply agreeing with razor that the better the start you have, the better your chances of being productive and getting something done. If you don't have a good start, you're going to come up against issues. Thats the point I was making. I believe most people know that as a matter of fact and thats why most parents become so obsessed about giving their kids a head start do they not? - Are they all envious too?
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
I was simply agreeing with razor that the better the start you have, the better your chances of being productive and getting something done.

Whilst that maybe true; and no doubt it is; people should still be congratulated for innovation etc.
If people start to think "I've got a good idea but I'm not going to do anything with it due to all the negative publicity due to my background", then innovation will die out.
thats why most parents become so obsessed about giving their kids a head start do they not? - Are they all envious too?

Yes to an extent.  They feel that because somebody else has done better than them, then they need to do what they can so that their child can do better than this other person's children.
Community Veteran

@geofftswin, I agree with your comments.  It is a very British attitude.  In the US everyone would have been overjoyed by his success and he would be hailed a hero Smiley