cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Water Kayaking

randpwar
Grafter

White Water Kayaking

My 16 year old son is a very keen kayaker and is already well qualified in respect of his personal paddling skills and also coaching, which he sees as a possible line of employment eventually. In order to attain further accreditation he has to organise and lead trips to both white water and flat rivers. Flat rivers we can find plenty of locally and white water usually means, given our south Warwickshire base, a trip North Wales to the National White Water centre on the river Tryweryn or the Dee that flows in to the lovely town of Llangollen; all of which are just a couple of hours travel for us. He’s also done the Tees and Tyne up north

Does anyone know of white water rivers in their areas? I’m guessing south, south-west and also guessing that south-east is (like our home area) too flat

7 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: White Water Kayaking

I believe there is one in Northampton and Holme Pierrepont just outside Nottingham is a National Water sports Centre not sure if they match your requirements or out of area. I also think there is the outdoor pursuits centre at Leicester that uses the Derwent.

Community Veteran

There is an artificial center at

https://www.tbiwwc.com/

randpwar
Grafter

Many thanks for the replies. I should have said that he's done HPP and Nene (Northampton) and is looking forward to doing the Tees Barrage but just for his own enjoyment. He"s really looking for rivers that offer white water naturally as opposed to man made courses . 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@randpwar - This might sound a bit daft but have you or your son considered the river Severn and going against the bore? It may not be white water, but as a training exercise...

http://www.severn-bore.co.uk/2016_times.html

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

A popular event for us locals and most keen paddlers is the River Washburn, its managed by Yorkshire water and at certain times of the year they release water from the reservoirs, he`s probably heard of it, and is highly recommended, just need to check the release dates. Smiley

Community Veteran

Here's one information source: http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/rivers/england/midlands/

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

I did the 3 lochs challenge about 20 years ago that consisted of setting off from fort William and enduring several natural white water zones, other natural white water areas are hard to come by that are navigable other than managed routes in the mountains although the welsh vally rivers did offer some challenges I suspect most are considered too hazardous for trips in todays H&S over conscious world.

oh and my kids did some white water kayaking in France last year that they loved in the ardeche, but most things like that are heavily managed by outward bound type places, not like years ago when all you needed was to tip up with the kit and launch then arrive at the preset destination a few hours later to travel home /

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you