Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Island- more and different fall out

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

White Island- more and different fall out

We all know the tragedy, which occurred there, and I cannot understand, why folk were even the opportunity to visit. It seemed the height of irresponsibility, so much so that action is likely on various parties. The NZ medical services are under extreme  pressure, and 1.2 million sq cm of skin is being bought for grafts, ( a body needing - 2 sq metres.

There're going to  some, who will not easily be repatriated, given their conditions, and whilst not denigrating insurers, I don't think they will be sunny bunnies at the payouts they face.

Hopefully not, but could some be looking at clauses that allow them to reject coveruncer such as dangerous activity prohibitions?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
7 REPLIES 7
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: White Island- more and different fall out

Terrible news and I feel for the injured by I'd be surprised if those that set of to visit this island were not made to sign some sort of disclaimer where they accepted full responsibility for their actions. Hard to imagine an insurance against injury when setting off to visit what was after all an active volcano.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Why would someone buy a island with a volcano on it. ?

To make money from tourists no doubt.

Those who own the island along with any tourist companies should be made to pay compensation to those who have suffered.

Warnings were given but the loss of money from cancelled trips was not worth risking.

Not that any amount of compensation will be enough to pay for the suffering caused.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Quite right, how is the average person expected to know an active volcano is dangerous. 😉

gleneagles
Community Veteran

We all know what the word,’Active’ means and was no doubt used to lure tourists to a site that makes money for the operators but the average tourist may have had no knowledge about the recent warnings and would expect those with greater knowledge and up to date information would make safety a priority over profit ?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Indeed, but I would suggest that even if all had known they would still have gone, and they would still have been taken.

The one in Yellowstone probably tops the list as the most likely to blow big time, yet the park still attracts literally hundreds of thousands of visitors each year and I doubt very much anybody will ever accuse them of the same... even if they are.

Danger attracts and that's the buzz that keeps those tills ringing.

gleneagles
Community Veteran

Very true about Yellowstone park but the difference there is that the park is covered in monitors, so accurate that they can time to the minute when 'Old Faithful' blasts steam and water into the air.

I take the point that some people will take a risk on some things simply for the 'buzz' it gives them whilst others simply do not understand the risk they are taking.

I suspect if the guide was going and sadly he was one of those killed some would think he would never have gone if there was any risk to life.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There are plenty of things that are potentially dangerous that turn into deadly.

Theme park rides or how about a helicopter ride anyone. There's a very long list.

Adults are expected to make adult decisions and way up the risks. Probably the very same adults that cross the road without a second glance while chatting on their phones.

I can't see how you could even legislate against high risk holidays / rides / situations. Unless all health and safety departments get issued with crystal balls and we all get issued with cotton wool padded suits.