Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whisky

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Whisky

I note there are a few whisky drinkers on the forum.

Me, I just stick with JD but what makes whisky so expensive, I don't mean the £20 - £40 bottle I guess that the average price, even seen 25 year old single malt in Aldi in that price range so where does the £ 100 plus bottle come from ?

The ingredients of whisky including the process of making it is no secret, sure the water in places varies and yes some years might be better than others but I still cannot see how the price is justified ?

Sure a big chunk is tax plus other costs so the real worth if we remove these the  true cost may be a third or less.

Many years ago along with a couple of friends we did a whisky tasting session in the local pub, personally I could not tell the difference except one whisky.....I think it was called Black Label but I could be wrong.....the difference was that the stuff did not burn the back of your throat when you drank it.

Of course that might be due to the affects of the other whiskies I had consumed.

Smiley

We are born into history and history is born into us.
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whisky

I don't drink, never mind whisky it smells vile, but I believe its a bit like wine, in that the fewer bottles there are the higher the price then add to the equation its vintage, ageing and distillation process, and of course demand.

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Anonymous 

I understand some people buy barrels of the stuff as a investment and it never leaves the warehouse.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@gleneagles   maybe the answer as to why it costs so much... ( apart , as you say from the tax(es) within the price). is in

25 year old single malt

Which, really means  an "ongoing", 25 year investment.... and by ongoing, every year, the 25year investment starts again.. to continue the production of that " 25 year old single malt  "... not jus the bottle you are drinking...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds about right, there's also a Bank in Italy that lends money using Parmigiano-Reggiano as collateral.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Black Label is not that nice, but not the worst either. For that Black and White take my prize and I have avoided it ever since I first tried it back in '68. 

As for tax I think that's around the 50% mark but we'd need to check?

Jameson's is my current (actually long standing) favorite and a single malt of almost any brand when somebody can afford to buy me a bottle - as long as it has not been infected with those oak shaving to give it that smokey flavour. 

Best of the budget bunch I have found is Highland Black from Aldi and one than is quite palatable, £13 a bottle, and does not grab hold of the back of your throat like that Black and White concoction. 

Useless info: Black and White was orginally known as House of Commons so that explains a lot!

Is this where we say cheers, santé, or here's mud in your eye. Smiley

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Tax is currently 74%, yep that 3 in every 4 pounds!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous 

Now that I find hard to swallow. Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers to that @Minivanman.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

Black Label is not that nice, but not the worst either. For that Black and White take my prize and I have avoided it ever since I first tried it back in '68. 

As for tax I think that's around the 50% mark but we'd need to check?

Jameson's is my current (actually long standing) favorite and a single malt of almost any brand when somebody can afford to buy me a bottle - as long as it has not been infected with those oak shaving to give it that smokey flavour. 

Best of the budget bunch I have found is Highland Black from Aldi and one than is quite palatable, £13 a bottle, and does not grab hold of the back of your throat like that Black and White concoction. 

Useless info: Black and White was orginally known as House of Commons so that explains a lot!

Is this where we say cheers, santé, or here's mud in your eye. Smiley

I'm no connoisseur, but like the occasional glass.

@Minivanman House of Commons, the one in Westminster, or the bathroom, or (for the more aged of us) down the garden? I'd definitely avoid the full-bodied stuff.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Strat
Fixes: 505

Many years ago I once got unconsciously drunk on half a bottle of whiskey.

Ever since I can't even stand the smell of it never mind the taste.

I did the same with Gin a couple of years later with the same results.

I've had a bottle of Vodka bought me for Christmas occasionally and it lasts me most of the following year.

I can handle Guinness as a 'social drink' but generally these days I don't consume alcoholic drinks at all.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Strat 

Similar thing happened to me when I was a teenager, got drunk on Guinness, never touched the stuff for at least the next 20 years.

Interesting you had a similar experience with other types of drinks.

Whilst I do not wish to make light of it I cannot understand how anyone can be a alcoholic considering how bad you feel after consuming too much strong drink.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

I knew a Connie Sewer back in the day.

Terrible lady, or I think (s)he was. Roll_eyes

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Strat 

Same here with Gin back in the late 60s.

I remember knocking it back like water... and that was it, zonked.

Never touched it for years afterwards and yep, that smell! 

gleneagles
Community Veteran

And what about the muck you used to drink on holiday years ago.....Ozo, tequila and the rest !

Wink