cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whinging Aussies

Community Veteran

Whinging Aussies

Boy!!  have we upset the Aussies with our medal tally at the Olympics.  Why are they so upset with our success?  A number of their newspapers today are having a real beef about this.  Poor losers.  They're now 5th in the medals table so that will really get them going.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Whinging Aussies

We have spent quite a lot of time in New Zealand, and found that they (New Zealanders) have much the same opinion of their Antipodean cousins.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I didn't realise that about New Zealanders until I heard a discussion on LBC this morning and you also confirm this. 
Fixes: 47

Aren't they a bit like the Americans...taken over a country that isn't theirs. The only difference is the Aussies are ex convicts not pilgrims.
*Strat goes pull up the drawbridge before the siege begins Embarrassed
Do Aussies and Yanks have a sense of humour Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Aren't they a bit like the Americans...taken over a country that isn't theirs. The only difference is the Aussies are ex convicts not pilgrims.
*Strat goes pull up the drawbridge before the siege begins Embarrassed

Too late mate, it's over - they're already in Wink
Do Aussies and Yanks have a sense of humour Undecided

I have American friends with a good sense of humour once you get used to it.  Likewise they like our sense of humour when they get used to it.
As for the Aussies, they make good bartenders.  I often wonder how our pubs would survive without them Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yeah! I think both yanks and ausies have a sense of humour, its just that we don't understand it, its got much to do with the general opinion of ausies of "whinging poms" that we're not really whinging at all, its just our sense of sarcasm neither like (nor understand) very much.
Suggestion: don't mention convicts in Australian company, its a complete killer of convivial conversation...Kiwi's don't mind reminding them though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

@artmo I was thinking more in terms of the siege on my house when some of them read my post.
I therefore hope you are not right but I'll find out this evening Undecided

Quote from: petlew
Suggestion: don't mention convicts in Australian company, its a complete killer of convivial conversation

You mean they're not as proud of their heritage as we are of ours Wink
Community Veteran

Sorry Strat I did misunderstand.  Better keep the front door locked just in case Smiley
randpwar
Grafter

Yeah, I think Yanks and Aussies have a sense of humour; in the case of the yanks you've only got to look at who they elected!  I think we and them just laugh at different things and the humour very often doesn’t make it over the water, perhaps just more proof of us being 'divided by a common language'
Not too sure that the Aussie ex-PM was famed for his humour though. Do you remember the Rugby World Cup when he had to hand the trophy to Martin Johnson? He looked as though he was sucking on a lemon!