cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While waiting for the hygienist appointment this morning...

Crunchie
Rising Star

While waiting for the hygienist appointment this morning...

... I heard the follow phrases:

• It's her first day, she's just setting some things up
  • The computer isn't working
  • (15 mins later) I got the mouse working now, but that's only because I used to work in IT
  • (10 mins later) Well, she's logged in!
  • The practice manager isn't in today
  • It stinks in there, open a window
  • We think it smells because the pump hasn't been working for two weeks

I've rescheduled my appointment....

Pete
12 REPLIES 12
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: While waiting for the hygienist appointment this morning...

Save your money and brush with bicarbonate of soda followed by mouth wash. Works for me, much better than toothpaste, and teeth clean a fresh. Wink

'A simple scale and polish on the NHS is £18.80. More in-depth scaling is likely to set you back £51.30. Private treatment varies, but can start from £45 for half an hour.'

saga.co.uk

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman I think your charges are out of date and often if work is by a hygienist, it is private. It set me back over £45.

I now use an electric brush.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

You may be right, but still expensive either way even from your link. I'm just grateful to have found a dentist that accepts NHS patients although touch wood, I have few problems with the old nashers and still have most of them - and no, not under the pillow or in a glass next to the bed! Wink

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman  Save even more money....All you need is a glass, water,and some steredent and put your teeth in overnight!!!!EvilRoll_eyes

Luzern
Hero

I've been with this one about eighteen months, after one retired from another surgery, and was succeeded by a nice arab lady, who unfortunately, we did not get on with. 

Our new one is in an old house, and not so mod con, They are up on the prevention side of things, and have coated our teeth.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern 

You may be right, but still expensive either way even from your link. I'm just grateful to have found a dentist that accepts NHS patients although touch wood, I have few problems with the old nashers and still have most of them - and no, not under the pillow or in a glass next to the bed! Wink

Under the pillow! @Minivanman At your age you can't expect the tooth fairy to visit, and take the one that fell out, so no 5p for you let alone  the £5, you might think coming.Funny

Jonpe
Hero

@Minivanman Yes, your prices are out of date.  Dentists no longer do scaling and polishing, although they'll list it on their care plan next to "extensive examination" and may do a little bit of cleaning while waiting for the anaesthetic to take effect if you need a filling etc.

I don't think dental hygienists have ever been available on the NHS; certainly in about 2003 the NHS dentist I'd been 'sold to' after my old one closed his surgery and retired, offered me the services of a hygienist at £42.50.

The hygienist I see now charges £59 for half an hour and does what dentists used to do 'back in the day' except she has the time to do a good job, and without chipping teeth in the process.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well to be fair, they were not my prices which is why I referenced the source. Higher than lower it seems but never had the need or seen the point of going to a hygienist, and not at those prices if I did.

Just lucky I guess and due in no small part to all that free school milk we used to guzzle back in to 50s. Oh, and neither parents or grandparents had false teeth - even to fill those few gaps.

Big smile for the camera Grandad. Laugh

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Luzern wrote:

I now use an electric brush.

Yup electric toothbrush is the way to go,  if everybody used them Hygienists would be out of a job...

Crunchie
Rising Star

I can't stand electric toothbrushes - they rattle my skull too much.

Pete
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crunchie - Is that because there's so much empty space in it Funny

Crunchie
Rising Star

Haha, yeah, there is that.

Pete