Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which mobile phone

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Which mobile phone

Sounds simple doesn't it.
That's what i thought until I started digging.
i was asked by a friend to recommend a mobile phone with the following parameters.
1. Very simple to use
2. Pay as you Go
3. No camera, internet etc.
4. Very clear sound (has hearing problems)
5. Loudspeaker
Any advice welcome 
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Which mobile phone

I got my wife a similar one (BY REQUEST!) A Nokia 1100 (Not sure if they are still available was last year, about £15 then),
B&W screen, clear screen, no camera, basic phone that works fine (Loudspeaker function is loud as well!).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I got a Nokia 1600 from Tesco last year, which is about as basic as you can get..... makes phone calls. and text..... and PAYG on T-mobile..... (as above about £15 )
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Nokia1600_01.jpg
Mine is a silvery colour....
Not huge, but bigger than the "most up to date ones"...
Fixes: 105

[me=adiewoo]leaves this one to the oldies Tongue[/me]
Will Moderate For Thanks
Addnan
Grafter

My grandad needed a phone, so I chose a slide up for him. They are easy to use, slide to answer. He seems to think that they are very easy to use.
The first phone he used was the Samsung E250, he like that a lot, but it got stolen and so he bought a Nokia which I can't find a link to.
I say go with a Nokia slide up. The ones around £30 are usually veryy easy to use.
Community Veteran

I have an E65 which is a slide and I don't like it. It will not stay locked, when the slide happens it auto unlocks the phone. Not a good system. Just my take YMMV.
Community Veteran

Nokia do seem to have caught on to the KISS market - thanks for the tips up to now  Grin
Community Veteran

This (http://direct.asda.com/Samsung-E1120-on-Orange-Pay-As-You-Go---Includes-+5-Airtime/008713083,default...) one also seems to be a simple one and is available for £10 (with £5 call credit) at Asda in store.
Description
Samsung E1120 Mobile Phone on Orange Pay As You Go - Includes £5 Airtime
Orange bring back simplicity with the Samsung E1120.
Classic, simple and stylish. With a compact bar design with a accent, vibrant 1.52" 65K CSTN LCD screen, call manager and call time limit and security features such as SMS messaging and mobile tracker.
The bar design features premium metal details.
A small, light phone for those that like to keep things simple. It's very easy to use and ideal if you just want a mobile for calls and text messaging. It has a speaker if you need to go hands free, polyphonic ringtones so you can give your ring an individual sound and an alarm for reminders and wake up calls.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Simple mobile phone? The tesco vx1i is quite well regarded in that respect, it's SIM free so you can get a PAYG sim from any provider you want. The only thing I'm not sure it has is a loudspeaker.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ biker955
  from the linky to asda site
Sorry! The product you are looking for has been discontinued and no longer available to buy

OOOPs !  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I bought a mobile for Mrs Petlew a couple of years ago, that had to conform to many of your requirements Oldjim, with a few more besides due to her not being at all happy with the tiny buttons fitted to the majority of phones these days: large buttons, just the basic keyboard buttons, very clear foolproof display, no extras just a phone.
Found what we were looking for in the pages of mobility products and got a Binatone available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Binatone-Big-Button-GSM-Mobile/dp/B001NMUGUI
For SWMBO's needs it is excellent, being easy to use, only feature is text, the three memory buttons can be programmed for your favorite numbers for one button calls.
However, service backup is pretty non-existant, I tried to obtain a spare battery without any luck, and the fitted one's type simply doesn't show up by Googling, fortunately it seems quite long lived with good between charge life.
A couple of years ago I paid far more elsewhere than the £50 Amazon is asking for.
Edit: like all good things it has a disadvantage; by today's standards it is quite a large phone, more like those available in the late 90's however Mrs P doesn't find this a problem.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Off shopping - via Tesco - to check the Nokia 1208 which seems to meet the requirements.
Will report back on what it looks like as I am not buying it myself
pierre_pierre
Grafter

asda still has that phone
johpal
Grafter

I can recommend using the ASDA Mobile PAYG service (piggybacks on Vodafone). Calls cost 8p per minute, texts 4p.
Community Veteran

As there isn't an Asda near and Tesco have  Virgin  Mobile Nokia 1661 and the Tesco Mobile Nokia 1208 and the T Mobile Samsung E1120 would fill the bill I have suggested that they go and look at them