Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which designer...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Which designer...

Of domestic home-ware deserves severe punishment for what they have inflicted on the buying public.

Top of my list is whoever decided that buttonholes and buttons in duvet covers, were the way forward rather than the old fashioned press-studs.

If found, that person should be taken outside, stood up against a wall and shot, but not before all his fingernails are forcibly removed.   

Unless you have better ideas.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Which designer...

Yup ! ... a strip of velcro on both edges would have been better...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

My vote goes to a double-slider zip (the type you have on rucksacks, travel bags etc.).

Or even a normal single slider zip.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

And that piece of what I assume to be over trim material that always gets jammed in the zip, just when you're in a hurry. Brilliant piece of design that!!...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You know what they say about a bad workman blaming his tools for the poor job he does... 🤣

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It’s possible to buy strong but very small magnets on eBay, around half a inch in size, should be fairly easy to create a fold and stitch them in.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

Hi @petlew Good to see you back.  🙂

My peeve is with those self seal envelopes that don't. 😠

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

small magnets on eBay, around half a inch in size, should be fairly easy to create a fold and stitch them in.

That will make a horrible noise and stick to drum when you wash duvet cover, and maybe rust as well. Imagine not being able to get cover out of machine.

Maybe small pieces of Velcro stitched on, you would have to make sure duvet cover was closed before washing because the exposed Velcro can be rough on fabric...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

There's an even better way, next time you're replacing your fridge or freezer, take off the rubber door seal, cut it open at one corner, peel it back a bit and pull out the soft magnetic strip from inside. You can end up with a couple of yards of this stuff. I can be easily cut with a sharp knife or a pair of scissors. Used to use it a lot for attaching notes, photos etc to the fridge door.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@198Hkz. Thank you. I've never actually been away. Just keeping a watching brief.

Seriously though, cancer, chemo and radiotherapy tends to concentrate the mind on other things.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@petlew wrote:

There's an even better way,.....

Yeah... do as I do.... leave that end open... ( nobody ever sees it , anyway ! ! ! ) ..

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

@shutter wrote:

Yeah... do as I do.... leave that end open... ( nobody ever sees it , anyway ! ! ! ) ..

So, your quilty secret is revealed. 😁

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,071

@petlew wrote:

Of domestic home-ware deserves severe punishment for what they have inflicted on the buying public.

Top of my list is whoever decided that buttonholes and buttons in duvet covers, were the way forward rather than the old fashioned press-studs.

The number of press-studs that have melted rendering them useless far outweighs the number of buttons!

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Melted!!... at the foot end of a duvet, what on earth do you get up to in bed??.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

When I bought my duvet, it was the right size for my existing duvet covers and the first few I subsequently acquired.  However, at some time at the turn of the century duvet covers were increased in size making them about four inches wider and four inches longer than the duvet.  I can't think of any practical reason for this so it must have been a marketing ploy to get customers to buy new duvets.  And yes, I miss the press studs, too.

A lot of products now seem to be designed to give a pleasing, unique, or artistic appearance rather than ease of use or practicality.