cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which city is most expensive to live in...?

Fixes: 121

Which city is most expensive to live in...?

Apparently it's Singapore
The city's strong currency combined with the high cost of running a car and soaring utility bills contributed to Singapore topping the list.
It is also the most expensive place in the world to buy clothes.
Singapore replaces Tokyo, which topped the list in 2013.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Which city is most expensive to live in...?

if you read the comments, lots of people disagreeing with that though..
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

I been to Singapore many times for work and I would not say it's expensive to visit.
Hotels and taxis are cheap, can pay less for a 10 mile taxis ride than it cost for a train in the UK
Petrol is cheaper in Singapore than the UK
Did not find clothes or shoes expensive, but they only need to drive into Malaysia where they are cheap as is petrol but the Singaporean Government  have a three quarter tank rule for Singapore cars crossing the border to stop nipping across to fill up.
But owning a car is expensive as it require a CoE (Certificate of Entitlement) which is approximately the same price as the car. All the times that I've been to Singapore I have never seen a Car showroom. The last time I was there which was for the inaugural F1 race I challenged my friends to spot a showroom, they did not.
Housing is expensive
WTF
Grafter

When I lived in Singapore, I used to take a taxi to work most mornings as it cost me something under £3.  The bus would have been about a fifth of that, but it would have meant waiting which would have meant melting  Wink
While the petrol may be relatively cheap in Sing, there are other costs associated with driving, like the CBD (Central Business District) charge - a predecessor of London's congestion charge - some complicated parking charges, plus of course, fines for pretty much everything (Singapore is famously a 'fine' city).  I once rented car for a week and paid more in fines than I did in rental  Roll eyes
As for housing being expensive, I think the price of my flat has only just recovered to where it was 15 years ago when I bought it  Shocked
I've never had too much luck with property  Roll eyes