Did you mean: 

Which 'Shift' keys do you use?

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Which 'Shift' keys do you use?

Excerpt from today's EOD -
Quote from: Bob
I had a moment of realisation yesterday whilst tapping away at my keyboard that I *never* use the right-hand shift key. Now if I’m completely honest, I’ve always thought this to be the expected behaviour for a typical right-handed typist. As I thought about it more though, it dawned on me that there are ergonomic reasons for having two shift keys and it’s probably how you’re ’supposed’ to type anyway? I decided to try using the right-hand shift key for certain key combinations and it all started to make sense. Thinking I must have been denying myself the luxery of this key for all these years I glanced up and asked the question of the others around the table…
To my surprise I wasn’t mocked and jeered. Far from it, turns out I’m not alone because everybody else around the table also neglected to make any use whatsoever of this key (which I must say is remarkably clean compared to the others on my keyboard!).
So how’s about it. Do you use the right-shift key, the left-shift key or both? Perhaps you’ve some other novel way of getting your keyboard to output upper case letters?
Why not let us know by filling out this poll.

Thought I'd post here too in a bid to boost the poll numbers and find out what peoples opinions are?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Which 'Shift' keys do you use?

I think properly trained touch typists would use it more ?
Community Veteran

My right shift key is MUCH larger than the left one; the pattern of dust suggests it is used rarely.
The ones below it appear to be unused - Alt-Gr, "windows", "menu", Ctrl. Left Ctrl is used.
(scroll lock and home appear to have never been touched!)
geewizz
Grafter

I use my left one more than the right one simply because I quite often type with two hands and tend to use the right hand for the letters and the left for the shift when it's required. But I do use the right hand shift key when I am typing with one hand because I can't stretch far enough.
The virgin keys on my keyboard are all the numberpad keys and the one above the left tab key  ¬
(Now I'll have to go and wash my finger. There was a 3mm layer of muck on that key.)
Community Veteran

The least-used key on my keyboard is probably the one with § and ± on it - both symbols that aren't exactly in everyday use! Oh, and perhaps the high F-numbers - my keyboard goes up to 19 but I think I only use up to about 12 or so.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce

The ones below it appear to be unused - Alt-Gr, "windows", "menu", Ctrl. Left Ctrl is used.

I'm not at all sure what  Alt-Gr is for - I cannot recall ever using it.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Interesting topic!
I only ever use the right shift if typing with one hand because the other is holding a drink, sandwich or whatever.
Funny how you never think about certain things - I've just realised that tapping the 'Start' key is a lot easier and quicker than taking the mouse pointer down to the bottom left corner of the screen.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

As I use my right hand for the mouse I use the left shift when using it but normally I use the right shift.
The one thing which annoys me with my keyboard is that the Caps Lock key doesn't have a recessed bit next to the "A" so I was forever finding I had typed a sentence all in caps. This is why I altered the registry to make it act as a normal shift key.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The right hand Ctrl I do use frequently (as in Ctrl/Home & Ctrl/End), but the others on the right I never use (what is Alt Gr?).
The Windows key on the left I use very frequently in it's combinations with E and D, and less often F, but rarely just on it's own to bring up the start menu.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I quite often use the Windows key, most commonly in conjunction with 'R' to open a run dialogue and 'M' to minimise all windows to the desktop. I also use it fairly regularly with the tab key to tile Windows using Aero in Vista.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

geewizz
Grafter

Alt Gr is Alternative Graphics and the only use I have for it is for typing the €uro symbol. Apparently it is úsed for áccénts tóó..
gswindale
Grafter

Can't say I've ever used ALT GR myself. 
I'd probably say that the other least used keys on my keyboard are the Pause/Break key , the Scroll lock and the one  between the right hand start and control keys - the one with a little menu displayed as the picture.  Having just pressed it now, it seems to be a right-click equivalent.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: geofftswin
Having just pressed it now, it seems to be a right-click equivalent.

*learns a new thing every day*

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Fixes: 104

I try and use the keyboard more than the mouse so I pretty much use all the keys, including both shift keys.
Bizzarely when I was uni we had to take a compulsory module of touch typing in our first year.
Guess so that we could code quicker?  Roll eyes
EDIT: which is why I like gmail so much as you can use the keyboard to navigate round the whole interface and do all the actions that would normally required a mouse.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

With the exception of Ctrl/Alt/Del when necessary, I hardly use keyboard shortcuts at all, most of what little I need/use can be found as right mouse click. Having said that, when I in full time occupation using an office computer all day, one of our IT bods showed me how to add shortcuts to right mouse click, which was extremely useful, but I'm damned if I can remember how to do it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.