cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where would we be? If we didn`t have post codes !

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,071

Re: Where would we be? If we didn`t have post codes !

Ask the Republic of Ireland, I don't think they have post codes in the way that we do..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Do they use anything but the address adiewoo?
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,071

As an example we have a store in Galway and the full address is Eyre Street, Galway  and another in Tralee Manor West Retail Park, Tralee, Co. Kerry
Dublin store is in an area called Dublin 1 but I think that's about as good as it gets.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Grafter

Where I live is not on a road or street; it’s a footpath (there's 8 houses) between two roads; and it has its own post code – so a SatNav cannot find it – useful sometimes!  So my postal address is something like: 3 Gasworks Way, Fern Road, Anytown
There seems to be two “official” sources for Post Codes – one is from Post Office which has my address correctly – two lines of address + town; and another which changes the address to 3, Fern Road (which has a different post code).  To add further confusion the lowest house number in Fern Road, is 17.  So, occasionally, I’ve ordered something, the sender has the “wrong” Post Code listings, and the deliverer cannot find the house number – and takes the item back!  The best one was a new computer which wasn’t delivered because of this problem! It was delivered a week later.  Cheesy

Highlighted
Grafter

Thats true adiewoo, addresses over there can be rather long.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I wonder if there is any property on the UK mainland without a postcode.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well, how very odd that shutter should start this thread today...I have today received a letter (snail mail) from the Royal Mail Postal Services Unit that, returns our post code to that that it was eight years ago, I shall briefly explain:
When we moved here 8 years ago we had a post code that was shared by neighbours on each side of us, this was followed shortly by a letter from no less than the Post Code Commissioner!! changing our code (but not our neighbours) to one shared by properties slightly under a quarter of a mile away, no amount of reasonable discussion would change their minds, so eventually we simply put up with it. Several months of mis-delivered mail settled down when the local postal staff got used to it. Indeed we treated it as a bit of a joke, especially when address finder software consistently failed to find us.
We very largely forgot about the discrepancy until just before Christmas, when twice in a week an emergency ambulance had to be called to my wife, the 999 operator and the paramedics couldn't find us, the paramedics went a long way out of their way before finally calling me direct for directions, fortunately the delay was not serious, but it had the effect of concentrating the mind rather seriously.
A long letter was sent to the Royal Mail (there is it seems no longer a Post Code Commissioner) and the resulting reply today putting us back where we started  it seems. A side issue of this is that no doubt a number of legal documents will need to be altered, some of which: passports, driving licenses, insurance documents etc. are not free to have altered, so I am pleased to report that the Royal Mail has agreed to meet any expenses incurred.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Grafter

I keep getting the mail for someone else at the other end of the road from me, (even though our postcodes are totally different).
I'm thinking of sueing the Royal Mail for stress, because I now keep having this recurring nightmare where the Royal Mail suddenly announce a "Community Mail Initiative" whereby they will only be delivering to the first house of any road. It's then up to the resident of that house to then distribute the mail along the road.
Highlighted
Grafter

Send me your house number and street name and i will get your your co-ordinates.
Oh, and town/city (NO POSTCODE THOUGH)
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well, closer to home we had problems setting up adsl with PN - becuase BT had our properties postcode incorrect.
Looking at the Royal Mail postcode website - we found that their database didn't have us listed, despite the fact we had been given a postcode years ago by Royal Mail. !!!.
I emailed Royal mail customer support, and within 12 hours had a very helpful reply, and asking us to clarify a couple of points, to which I replied straight away.
The next morning we received a reply to say that they had added our property to the database ( the same postcode that we wthought we had ).
I rechecked Royal mail website and yes - there we were.
Excellent service from Royal Mail. But BT still have an incorrect postcode. We are just hoping that when BT update their Postcode files - they don't do anything silly, like turn off our adsl !!.