cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where would we be? If we didn`t have post codes !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Where would we be? If we didn`t have post codes !

As everyone knows (well nearly) if you want to find a street, or location address in google maps. It is real easy if you have the post code.  Of course, everyone also knows (well nearly) that a post code, is not specific to a house or building, rather an "area", so to be accurate in your destination, you still need the full postal address. (which gives the house number or building name)
Long Long Ago, before satellite navigation systems were installed in everything that moved, there was, and still is in existence, an extremely accurate way of knowing where you were going, or where you actually were.... However, I have never seen it used in this way before,.... (see picture) and indeed even though I have been in and out of Portsmouth for the past 40 years, it was not until recently that I noticed it, even though it is on the main thoroughfare. ! ! !
24 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: Where would we be? If we didn`t have post codes !

Very interesting Shutter
Online shopping or service ordering (e.g. broadband) not to mention programming the sat nav (which of course uses this info anyway) would be interesting if we had to know the exact co-ordinates of our front door for example.
Smiley
James
Grafter

Lat: 53:22:06N
Lon: 1:27:23W
Tongue
techguy
Grafter

I think James has got too much time on his hands.
James
Grafter

It's all about the resources available!
Although amusingly I needed my post code to get that information Tongue
Community Veteran

I think our individual post codes cover a lot less area than other countries do.  A full postal address is not essential to get a letter delivered.  If you simply put the house number and post code it will get there.  Where large volumes of mail are delivered such as to a business address they often have their own post code.
Community Veteran

Here's an interesting link tha shows how post codes are made up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_codes_in_the_United_Kingdom
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

SatNav csv file data:-
1.2758,52.656,W'spn The Whiffler,Norwich
Roll eyes Cliff
Community Veteran

Post codes general relate to about 15 houses..
James
Grafter

Depends where you are really Smiley
Mine relates to all the flats in my block, but only 4 houses at my parents postcode.
Community Veteran

I prefer the Streetmap tool as this accepts lat long as in this case, OS National Grid, or postcode
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.srf?x=463045&y=99347&z=0&sv=N50:47:25,W01:06:25&st=7&mapp=oldmap.s...
There are quite a few websites that convert between all these formats. Ordnance survey used to publish the formulaes to convert, and years ago I did a spreadsheet - but have lost it  Angry.
Navigation is a fascinating subject - did some in my previous life, and also worked on navigational equipment for a marine company.
Decca, loran, then the early Transit sat nav system. Now many mobile phones have sat nav receivers, and most UK police handportable radios.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

On the where is home thread, we drifted of in a quiet period, like what is due South of Glasgow? Plymouth Bristol, Swansea.  You cant use post codes for that, or Ord Survey National grid, you have to use Lat and Long.  Reason, the Nat Grind is square 10Km boxes, whereas the Lat Long is like a segment of an Orange, it has curved edges.
My son in Aus has a very short address  QLD post code (4 digits) PO Box (3 didgits)  total 10 Characters
jmd
Grafter

The Royal Mail do not seem to check Post Code with address - my post code is different to the one a few houses away but I have had mail misdirected with wrong house number but correct Post Code!
techguy
Grafter

That's probably down to the postie doing your walk
Community Veteran

Yes, down to human error.  Although most of the mail is sorted automatically now the last bit is done by hand in the local sorting office.  Our postie sorts her own round out before delivering it.