Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Where to buy

Hi, just after a bit of advice, I am thinking about buying an apple MacBook pro and my first thought was to buy from the apple store but there are cheaper ones available from online places eg. laptops direct.  With it being an expensive purchase I am wary of buying online in case there are any problems with it and the money saved could end up being false economy.  Just wondered what others would do.

8 REPLIES
Fixes: 124

Re: Where to buy

You should get the same manufacturer's guarantee whether you bought online or in the Apple Store. If you buy online you also have the added protect of the Consumer Contracts Regulations plus further protection if you purchase using a credit card.

I always buy online for the CCR as it does give added protection plus, if you change your mind, you can return it (you may have to pay return carriage fees).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 104

Buy from John Lewis, you get 3 years warranty included iirc.

However, Apple laptops come with worldwide warranty, so if you chose to buy from somewhere else you'd still be able to take it an apple store for assistance within that 1 year period.
Will Moderate For Thanks
southken
Rising Star

Thanks for the info guys.   Debenhams plus are selling it for £1400, that's saving about £200 which is a lot of money.  It's good to know that if anything went wrong I could still go to the Apple Store, I wasn't sure about that.

be aware if it's Debenhams extra, it's not really debenhams.
Will Moderate For Thanks
southken
Rising Star

Hi dvorak, I think it's a buy it direct company which I think is laptops direct, I'm not keen on ordering from them, I've read that if you need to phone them it's 13p per minute and they also charge 1.5% for paying by paypal or cc.  I think the John Lewis option is the best.  I'm still undecided whether to spend that much money on a laptop, but that's another story!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Is there any particular reason why the Mac Air ??  a similar spec windows laptop would be cheaper

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
southken
Rising Star

Friends who have macbooks have been raving about how great they are, I'm not keen on windows 10 and thought if I could afford it a mac would be a good investment.  It's the MacBook pro 15 retina that I fancy.

I've got a macbook pro that's over 7 years old and the next round of OS upgrade is the first one it won't be supported for, I'm not sure you can say that about windows machines.

a similar spec windows laptop would be cheaper

I don't think it would, I have both a high end windows machine and mbp (both i7, max ram, ssd etc.)  and they were similar costs - but the screen on the mbp is far superior and the OS is so much slicker.

Will Moderate For Thanks