Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's the bin ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Where's the bin ?

Sea of rubbish left behind by 90,000 music fans at Reading Festival
Aerial photographs show 'the morning after the night before' at Reading Festival, after everyone had gone home

A huge clear-up operation began within hours of the annual Bank Holiday event closing on Monday

Thousands abandoned tents and left a sea of cans, cigarette butts, half-eaten food, and lost or unwanted belongings

I'm surprised there weren't any skips dotted around the place?
We need Wombles...!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2403467/Reading-Festival-2013--fetch-dustpan-brush.html#ixzz...
"Money for nothing, Tents for free"

22 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Where's the bin ?

Charities often collect abandoned tents for resale in their shops.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Its the ME generation. They can't be bothered to find/use a bin. Walk down almost any path and you will find dropped litter, often just FEET from a bin.  Crazy Crazy
Their parents have always tidied up after them so they think that others will as well.  Crazy
There are (were?) laws against littering but I don't think they bother to enforce them anymore.

Anti littering is so ingrained in me from an early age that I find it impossible to drop something in the street and always pick something up straight away if I drop it by accident.
The aftermath of such an event as the Reading Festival is inevitable as a sense of 'no littering' appears totally absent from the younger mind.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I agree with the old-school mentality, however i did go to the London carnival last weekend, and although the rubbish on nearly every part of the route was like this i didn't see any plastic netting holders, or any other type of bin or containment. how are people supposed to respond to this problem of no bins being provided?
I think 300 people on sunday alone had either bruises or cuts to their feet.

Good point.
I went to a local outdoor event earlier this month and spent a couple of minutes walking round looking for a bin for my food tray.
I thought it logical to provide bin bags near a food outlet but I was apparently wrong Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

When I was a kid my parent used to frequently drop litter and encourage me to do so. As a kid you think your parents are right and do as you're told.
School kicked in and changed all that. Ever since I was about 6 / 7 I've used a bin or stuffed the trash in my pocket. The problem these days is that there often aren't enough bins especially at public events - you can find a bin and it will be full!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

If you find a full bin then there is nothing wrong with leaving your rubbish beside it, it is the non-determinate dumping of rubbish where ever and when ever that gets to me.
Bins are a pain to find. The local council closed a well used walkway (railway coming through in 2 years time!) and the "diversion" has NO bins on it. Now this is used by dog walkers and it is now getting a covering. I still pick up my rubbish (both mine and the dogs) and put them in the nearest bin, which might be upto 1/4mile away.

I used to go to a large annual event in Earls Court where free food was available throughout the day.
The organisers had a dedicated bin patrol group who constantly checked bin bags and replaced them where needed.
The place was left at the end of the day as it was found.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
If you find a full bin then there is nothing wrong with leaving your rubbish beside it

Well thats the point, it's still littering. That rubbish can get blown away, picked at by the gulls etc. Many councils will still take action against people they see leaving rubbish by a full bin.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Help is on it's way .....
The Wombles to return on Channel 5.
Now that's great timing.

Cult children's classic will air for two new series in 2015
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/28/wombles-return-channel-5
Fixes: 125

My parents (and primary school) always used to instil a sense of responsibility where litter was concerned (anyone remember "Find a bin to put it in" ads from, I think, 70's or 80's?).
I'm like strat and simply cannot drop litter.
I live in a very rural area now and am still amazed at the amount of litter lying by the side of roads, in hedges and even fields.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

After a McD's opened a few years ago, the amount of rubbish dumped by the side of the road increased exponentially.
Quote from: Sprite
Well thats the point, it's still littering. That rubbish can get blown away, picked at by the gulls etc. Many councils will still take action against people they see leaving rubbish by a full bin.

I would have thought that you would have a counter claim against them for not emptying the bins IF they fined you.
If they don't empty the bins often enough then they are failing in their civic duties.
Community Veteran

But you are forgetting that the state always looks after it's own - in this case the councils. They'll argue that it's your duty to find another bin just as they do with P&D machines when one is out of order.
Community Veteran

Also as I said earlier I haven't ever seen anybody being fined for littering.
Compare the UK to Switzerland where the streets are always clean, even on a Sunday morning.