cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the logic ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Where is the logic ?

You see something advertised at £23.99 a month but you have to have a 18 month contract to get that price along with a cash back of £70.

Where is the logic in that ?

Why not reduce the monthly price to £ 20 or even £ 19.99

What would attract you more to such a offer ? Cash back or a lower monthly payment.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Where is the logic ?

Lower monthly payments...... every time....

Community Veteran

Me too !

:thumbsup:

ffox
Pro

Ditto.:thumbsup:

Minesapint
Pro

Same here. :thumbsup:

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

I don't want to do an  @∞  But I'd buy ti outright. Those types of offers, money back ones et al need the buyer to be on the ball, and follow the rules to the letter.

Years ago my mother in law bought something from the local electricity board with a redemption benefit attached in x years. By the due time the board was defunct, and we had great difficulty in tracing, who the custodian of the benefit was.

Read other sectiona of the community and see how many disappointments appear about money offs.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

For me the cashback was a handy lump sum to put into the savings pot for buying me a bike & associated kit alongside birthday money and (when they bother to) refund money from vodafone, as I need to work on dealing with both mental and physical health, cos I'm a depressed lump that needs to get outside more and lose weight & gain a life of sorts back... :smiley:

PowerLee
Rising Star

Anyone remember the cashback warranties you could get for electrical items where after 5 years if you didn't claim you could ask for your money back?

I bought a TV & Video from my local Courts store ( remember them? ) back in the year 2000

5 year cash back warranty plan taken out on both items - you had 30 days at the end of your 5 year warranty period to claim your cash back.

I wrote the date the warranty ended on the back of each calendar, finally got to the date the warranty actually ended in 2005 & sent of both my cashback claim forms correctly filled in via special delivery so I knew they would get there on the first day available of my 30 day claim window.

Anyway got my cashback warranty money back from the warranty company & cheque cleared.

I would guess the company made all there money from all the people who forgot to claim there money back or claimed outside there 30 day claim window.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

Now it is all smoke and mirrors. Legislation states that a device such as a TV must have a life of at least 6 years. So if you are paying for a Warranty all you are doing is offsetting the insurance costs of the seller when in reality they are legally obliged to fix or replace it.

PowerLee
Rising Star

Last tv I bought I got from John Lewis as they offered a 5 year warranty & price matched all the other major retailers.

I got a tv sound system from John Lewis & had a fault develop within a couple of months, rang up the customer help number to speak to someone & ended up with a doorstep exchange of the unit. Excellent customer service. 

daveplus
Aspiring Pro

@Mook

"Legislation states that a device such as a TV must have a life of at least 6 years"

That would be nice but it is just not true.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act is a useful guide

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

Fair point @daveplus it is in fact 6 years to make a claim, but in Scotland that's 5, I stand corrected.

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

For me the cashback was a handy lump sum to put into the savings pot for buying me a bike & associated kit alongside birthday money and (when they bother to) refund money from vodafone, as I need to work on dealing with both mental and physical health, cos I'm a depressed lump that needs to get outside more and lose weight & gain a life of sorts back... :smiley:

Glad to know you got the lump sum but as others have said it's often necessary to jump through hoops to get that money back and if you had failed that would only make you feel down even more.

A Bike is a good idea, for me it would be a good pair of boots, at least you can walk for most of the day I would be (censored) after a hour on a bike assuming I could even last a hour.

:smiley:

Community Veteran

The only money back thing that's annoying me at the moment is what vodafone did, they charged another month's bill for September even though PN took over the line in August, according to their twitter support people, they do that "just in case" I changed my mind, erm, no, raising the price and not offering anything better deal-wise, I wasn't staying put (and they didn't even offer one of them spy devices to sweeten the deal, not that I'd have accepted one anyway!)... :angry:

As for walking & cycling, I used to walk a lot back in Lancashire, and recently tried to do a relatively short walk compared to what I used to do, and owing to weight and lack of exercise issues, I was absolutely knackered after just a couple of miles, and the annoying part was I was walking to the clearance store where I was hoping to buy said bike, only they didn't have the one I wanted, but it was still a good trial to see how I'd get on with walking, which wasn't well...

I haven't cycled in about 11 years, my present bike was trashed by my waste-of-space brother who also back in Lancashire "borrowed" it without asking and took it on a joy ride through deep muddy water, tore a tyre off the wheel and managed to damage the handlebars somehow, so that bike was ruined & never compensated for doing so...

But as for now, I know I'd be utterly knackered after a short ride, my legs are completely out of shape (even though "round" is a shape!) and will need a lot of little & often rides to build muscle back up and evict the flab, wish I could have started earlier in the year, but, oh well... Smiley