cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is " Home "

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Where is " Home "

Ah, but I am not a "native" of  Notts/these parts am I................. I come from the better part of Greater Manchester[what used to be Lancashire]
Highlighted
Not applicable

I come from the better part of Greater Manchester

Anuvver one wot talks posh then!  Wink
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,071

I've been working so much I think I'm about to get turfed out of mine  Sad  Embarrassed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Where's home -  ? ? ?
I have no idea - I've lived and worked in widely varying locations, from up here in the depths of Perthshire, down to the far south west of Cornwall, in deepest Essex, down on the south coast in Sussex & in the English Midlands of Staffordshire & Shropshire, the north of England in Yorkshire ( loved York  Smiley )
I just love Britain - despite it's failings. I've lived and worked abroad - and always glad to return to Britain.
What I do dislike is the fact that people in different parts of the country knock other parts without having spent significant time there.
And for this reason, I rather like the fact that PN is based in Sheffield - in Yorkshire :-))

Highlighted
Grafter

Anywhere where tolerance and respest for all cultures and individuals exists from all.
Still searching...................................................
Highlighted
Grafter

I feel like a right stick-in-the-mud reading this.
The house I was born in is scarcely a hundred yards from where I live now, and apart from three years at Uni in Aberystwyth, I've lived in this village for all of my 46+ years.
(It's here, if you're interested: http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=ll11+5ae&countryCode=GB#map=53.07565,-3.05807|15|4&dp=904&bd=useful... )
I've never understood how people can be comfortable with moving around so much.
Highlighted
Grafter

Depends whether people like where they live or not Nigel.
People may also have to move to get a job or continue one they are doing to give them the standard of living they want.
I suspect a lot of people in the former mining communities in Wales and the North East and West have had to relocate to get work so it may not be a matter of choice for them.
Highlighted
Grafter

Indeed - many people move for work and standard of living.  For example, I would not have easily got a job in my industry if I'd have remained either in the area that my parents lived in at the time or the area near to my Uni.
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: thejudge
I've never understood how people can be comfortable with moving around so much.

It also depends on whether or not they had a choice!
Highlighted
Grafter

True also, I wouldm't have moved to Milton Keynes by choice but you don't have much of one when you are 4!
Saying that, back in '86 it was much more pleasant round here as there was hardly anyone here for starters but it started its descent in the late '80s.
All depends on whether you are happy with your surroundings I suppose and what you are prepared to tolerate to some extent.
Edit to remove quote.
Highlighted
Grafter

I'd moved house (or rather my parents had) 11 times by the time I was 18.  Chuck in 3 different boarding houses and that comes to 14.
I've only moved county once voluntarily Smiley
Highlighted
Grafter

Once I get my networking certs its either up north or abroad as don't want to stay 'dawn saarf'
Highlighted
Grafter

Fool!
Highlighted
Grafter

Finland, Switzerland and Seattle are on my list under abroad and Leeds, Manchester or Newcastle for up north.
Highlighted
Grafter

Not so many IT Jobs in Leeds and Manc ATM, and lots and lots of potential candidates who are well trained and have experience of very large networks.
And now that HBOS is officially part of the Lloyds Banking Group, I'd expect there to be more similarly trained IT staff looking for work in the area.
A sad result of the financial centres of the north scaling back and closing down operations - lots and lots of redundancies.
Good luck though!