cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is " Home "

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Where is " Home "

Got the idea from the voting thread !....
In these "modern" times, it is (was)  possible to move away from "home" to find gainful employment, and bring up a family of your own. ! It seems that many of the PlusNet staff, have originated far from Sheffield. and I left my "maternal" home at the age of 15 to "run away to sea" ....(I lived in Leicester, which is about as far away from any sea that you can get in England !)
Having travelled halfway round the world, and lived in many cities, towns and villages all over England, it is difficult for me to call the present domicile my "home" in the normal sense.... I was born in York, so I am a Yorkshireman, I am proud of that, I was schooled in Leicester, and proud of that too, but having travelled so much, I really feel as though I am "coming home" when I go to Wales!
So where is your "home" and if not where you were born, why ?

56 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Where is " Home "

Tbh, the majority of staff are from Sheffield, especially within the call centre.
My home is Berkhamsted, Herts.  I was born in North London, but spent my first 18 years in either England, Sotland, Norway and then boarding school in Berkhamsted whilst my parents lived in France and Colombia.
I guess I think of it as home because it's where my family live and it's where I grew up.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Aye home for me will always be sunny Sheffield, where the steel is blue, the grass is green, the trees are greener, and the Yorkshire attitude prevales. Not many people know that Yorkshire (and Sheffield particularly) is situated on the original site of the garden of eden.
craigyoung
Grafter

Not sure to be honest.  Born in Portsmouth, lived in Kent, Coventry, Sussex, Surrey, now Kent again.  I guess it's where I live now, as I now have a family and am really happy. 
Although my 'cool' answer would be my spiritual home is the Mississipi Delta, because I'm a blues fanatic and I've travelled around there a lot. 
So Kent/Mississipi.    Undecided
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Home for me is where I live, so that's Sheffield. However I was born in Leicester but spent pretty much all my youth in Knutsford (Cheshire), only left there to come to uni 8 years ago.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 102

Hmm, born in Leeds, did a stint in the smoke and now in Coventry.
Leeds will always be home in many ways, even though I guess I've settled here.
Certainly a question to ponder.
Will Moderate For Thanks
jmd
Grafter

Home is where I live - Worksop [not far from Shefield!] and has been now for 15 mths, but originally from Urmston, Manchester.  My mother came from Wednesbury, Staffs and went to Manchester to work in service where she met my Dad [who was from Cheshire].  She was a cook/housekeeper and he was the chauffeur at that time!
gswindale
Grafter

Hmm - born in Spalding Lincolnshire - grew up for 8 years in Stafforshire and then 10 years in Walsall (just down the road!).  Went to Uni in Swansea and now live in Berkshire.
Home is the Swansea area due to spending much time there in my younger years (Mother's side of the family).  Quite handy now that my parents have actually moved down there to look after my grandmother.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well Paternal grandmother Tynemouth,  grandfather Stretford Lancaster Married about 1914 Sale Cheshire  Dad Sale
Maternal Grandmother Bishops Castle (welsh border) Grandfather Stretford Manchester  Mum Little Moss, Aston Under Lyne
Me Hornchurch
Makes you wonder how they met in those years gone by
jmd
Grafter

Well Pierre - you have relative from Stretford which was next to Urmston where I used to live [I also worked in Stretford for nearly 29 yrs] and another from Sale, Cheshire which is whre my Dad was born [in 1894] and brung up by his Aunt and Uncle!!

sorry - now modified date!! 
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: jmdlp
Dad was born [in 1994]

I reckon that makes you some sort of biological miracle then. Shocked
Community Veteran

[chillypenguin@southpole ~]$ echo $HOME
/home/chillypenguin
[chillypenguin@southpole ~]$

Well, someone had to come along a say that!!!
Community Veteran

Born and brought up in Belfast, so that will always be "home", but I'm very happy in Chelmsford.  It's a great place to live.  Far enough from London to be "not London", but close enough to get there for events and so on (half an hour by train on a good day)  So you can be at a West End show within an hour if that takes you fancy  Smiley
When I'm in Belfast, Chelmsford is "home".
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Was born in Lewisham, lived in Lee until I was 2, then my parents have always lived in Welling, Kent since then.
Now live a couple of miles from my parents.
So always been out the outskirts of London, so I'd have to say that (or Laaandan).
Lived in Birmingham for three years whilst at Uni, so that'd have to be my second home Smiley
techguy
Grafter

Well, I was born in Enfield and lived in Tottenham although I spent a good 6 months living with my maternal grandparents in Batley, West Yorks as my parents were always very busy at work (my Grandfather was from Stanley Moor in Durham and my Grandmother was from somewhere in Cheshire but the place name escapes me at the moment)
I always feel more northern than southern and intend to move back to Yorkshire when I can.
Of course at the minute I live in bleedin' Milton [BlackholeKeynes
Edit as blackhole should have been a strikethrough