cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is " Home "

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Where is " Home "

Cheers, what has happened last year jolted me into actually doing something toward getting out of desktop support and acquiring certifications that I can apply in a number of incrwasingly important industry fields.
Highlighted
Not applicable

Home moves are definitely disruptive but have the advantage that it probably prevents people from becoming too parochial.
A wider view of society is no bad thing IMO. However, my friend, who was subjected to the same sort of childhood as James i.e. lots of house moves albeit very many years ago, has been quite firmly rooted for the largest part of her adult life and has been totally put off relocating.
She chose the best place to settle though - Yorkshire!
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
So where is your "home" and if not where you were born, why ?

Beggard if I know  :-\. I was originally born in Kenya, Nairobi to be precise, not far from the Masi Mara Game Park. Why? My parents served in the RAF at the time and did their overseas service there.
We moved about quite a bit since returning to the UK in the early 60s. In my 20s I did a bit of moving about myself, mainly as a RM Volunteer Reserve for 6 years. I now live in a small seaside town on the Suffolk Coast (my father's birthplace), but Somehow I don't consider it "Home".
I'm constantly berated for not moving to a larger town/city to improve my chances of employment, The nearest large town is just up the coast and to be honest it's just not a desirable place to carry on the struggle for survival. The Germans sent an apology every time they missed it Tongue And after living in Manchester for the greater part of my childhood and avoiding death at least 20 times whilst there, be it by accident or otherwise, I think I've just about had my fill of city life.
*Fires up the SatNav and looks for "Home"
Highlighted
Fixes: 473

Certain relatives of mine have up until recently moved house around the South Yorkshire area approximately every 2 to 3 years.
As for myself it takes a large quantity of dynamite to move me.

Don't bother I've tied up all UK supplies Wink Roll_eyes

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 80.0.1 (64-bit)

Grafter

Quote from: thejudge
I've never understood how people can be comfortable with moving around so much.

Something i've had to do many a time with my Dad being in the Army, born in Shrewsbury, stayed there until I was 3 months old, then we moved 15 times before I started secondary school Smiley So I went to 11 Junior/Infants, all around Germany (before the wall came down) Northern Ireland, Colchester and Chichester before moving to Retford, Notts to go to Comprehensive/6th form.
From there moved to glorious Sheffield to attend Hallam Uni, we bought a house there as there was no council tax to pay and houses were ten a penny in 2002  Cheesy
Now residing in a lovely village on the boarder between Rotherham/Sheffield and Nottinghamshire. We've got plans to move to my other halfs place of origin - Orkney - at some point when we're near retirement but not for the time being.
Highlighted
Grafter

As for myself it takes a large quantity of dynamite to move me.

Don't bother I've tied up all UK supplies  Roll_eyes

Dont worry, I use Semtex
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: techguy
Well, I was born in Enfield and lived in Tottenham

Well I never, whilst I was born in Essex (Maldon) I have lived, as far back as I can remember, in Enfield... I'm guessing you were born at Chase Farm or North Mid.?
Quote from: Jameseh
I went to uni in Ponders End for a year.
Beef and Barrel ftw Smiley

Did you never go in the Picture Palace - or was it even not a pub back then? Ponders End is only a 5-10 minute bus journey away from me so I've been for a drink with friends in the Picture Palace a few times myself.
Highlighted
Grafter

It's not one I remember.
We generally went to either the Beef and Barrel or the White Hart for the pool tables.  There was one other one but I can never remember what it was called Smiley
That was in 98/99.
Highlighted
Grafter

Lived in or just outside Warwick (as I do now) all my life. Mum was born and bred on a farm outside Bedale in North Yorkshire and we still have family in Askrigg and Richmond (not the darn sarf posh one James). Must say we feel very much ‘at home’ in the Bedale, Leyburn and Reeth, Hawes (Muker is another favourite) area. Could quite easily settle there
Highlighted
Grafter

Born in Glasgow (Dad was in the army, but a Sheffield lad), raised on the Barnsley/Sheffield border. Lived in Nottingham, Southampton, Fareham, Portsmouth (close to you shutter), Canada (New Brunswick), Amsterdam, Saudia Arabia and Sultanate of Oman. Returned to UK (London), now living back on Barnsley/Sheffield border, about a mile from where I started out!  Roll_eyes
Highlighted
Grafter

You sure your display name shouldn't be pinball, johpal?  Grin
Highlighted
Grafter

Born Middlesex, went to school in London.  Like Shutter,  joined the Navy at 16.
Lived in Cornwall, Dorset, Porstmouth, Malta, Gibraltar, Yorkshire, Barbados (sadly only for 9 months!).
But I've now been settled in Bath, Somerset  for 25 years.
This is finally my home.....