Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is Pi? (Was What is PI?)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Where is Pi? (Was What is PI?)

If you'll excuse the TOWIE intro..
The Raspberry Pi has been released today - a fully functioning PC board for just £25 +/-. It won't run windows due to the chips architecture (Why can't MS have a profile system for different processors?) but it will run linux and has a GPIO along with USB, LAN etc.
Their site has seen overwhelming demand hence its a basic html page only at the moment but you can order them via RS and Farnell (or at least register your interest).
This is probably the next big thing since the iPhone and iPad as it will allow people to come up with all sorts of things.
Here are some links:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2108045/Revolutionary-22-Raspberry-Pi-working-PC-just...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17196115
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
96 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: What is PI?

It's a marketing ploy. Boards like this have been around for close to 20 years, been trying to find these older boards since the announcement of the Pi believe they had a name something like PC101.
Edit PC104 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC/104 been around since 1992
kmilburn
Grafter

The difference is the target audience,      board like the PC/104 are aimed at embedded systems and not the most friendly to play with!
The Raspberry PI is targeted at school children. 
The most significant difference is the OS installed which allows them to be used like Spectrums and BBC Micros etc.  i.e.  the have a more direct access to the programming iterface  (editor/compiler)
However, most of the buyers of the first batch are probably in the hobbyist group.
I think schools should also go further and have some integration of programming and electronics,  the Arduino (http://arduino.cc/) is a great system to use for that type of thing.
Fixes: 47

It reminds me of Science of Cambridge's MK14.
All it needs now is someone to release a Linux distro called Custard Lips are sealed
I want one Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Sold out in a couple of hours. I would love to have one to play with, but will have to wait for more to be produced.
My first "pc" was an Acorn Atom, 2K build it yourself kit. Great little pc, full keyboard as opposed to Sinclair’s calc type. When I went to college they had AIM65's which were programmed in 6502 assembler fun fun fun  Embarrassed
IF they get these in to the curriculum then all the better, who needs ipad's each when they can have one of these and actually learn how to program rather than how to USE, which is all they teach these days.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

still got a UK101 - 6502 that ran Basic and machine code programs, think it still works
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

So it comes with an OS?
Where is the OS stored?
I quite fancy getting one - especially if I can run it headless via ethernet so it doesn't need a keyboard / mouse.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

OS goes on a Compact Flash card if I'm not mistaken.
There was much discussion about Recommended and supported distros prior to launch, it seems several have been ported / modified to support the device (ARM processor and on-board graphics with a small memory footprint)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
RichardB
Pro

Hi
Tech overview @ http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-42993/l/raspberry-pi-single-board-computer
Linux OS builds for PI can be downloaded.
OS is stored on an SDcard. Presumably has to bought in addition to the PI board.
Richard
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: A
I quite fancy getting one - especially if I can run it headless via ethernet so it doesn't need a keyboard / mouse.

Yes the potential for these is enormous and yes I've got a few uses for a few headless versions. At that price it's actually possible to get some projects done too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: RichardB
SDcard

Yes, I was mistaken!  Sorry it is SD, not CF.
There will be methods to load an OS onto a card using a PC for alternate distros / versions
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
I want one Cool

Register here to express an interest in Raspberry Pi if you have not, thay are still taking orders for the Raspberry Pi
I have put my name down for one!  Smiley  Wink
Fixes: 47

Me too Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
prichardson
Grafter

I'm looking at getting one to put in the spare space in my NAS and operate a integrated XBMC device.
6TB media centre for ~£350, though a little loud.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Wonder if it has enough "ooph" to drive xbmc? Will be interesting to see when they are in general supply.