cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does this money go?

Fixes: 123

Where does this money go?

British Gas fined £2.5m for complaint handling
Ofgem ruled that the company had failed to re-open complaints when customers said they had not been resolved.

These and other fines are all well and good but what happens to the money once paid?
Does it go to fund ofgem or whatever, to the government's coffers or, even better a realy good cause (doubtful)?
Also, won't these companies simply recoup the fine by hiking prices a little further?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Where does this money go?

[Cynic Mode]
They probably do like large shops do regarding shoplifting and factor it into their prices
[/Cynic Mode]
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Have to agree, I bet it's passed back to the customer in increased charges.
James
Grafter

I think I remember when Bulldog were in all kinds of trouble for billing issues and I think Ofcom made them stop doing any form of advertising for a period.
If they did that with British Gas for say a year, I imagine that would hurt them more than £2.5m, but ultimately would still lead to the same thing, a hike in prices.
itsme
Grafter

Might explain why I just had a phone call from my Utility provider which I'm in dispute with via the Ombudsman. They had ignore the recommendations of the Ombudsman, they are allowed 28 days, the recommendations then become a requirement and they are given another 28 days to comply. The 28 days ended last week. So is it just coincidence that I had a phone call this afternoon?
Fixes: 123

We basically all agree that these fines will eventually hit the consumer but what actually happens to the money?
Any ideas?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

matt_2k34
Grafter

I would highly suspect it would go to the ombudsman.
Yep - will definitely be a price increase passed onto the consumer, Not that it matters because BG completely disregards its customers anyway.
Regards
Community Veteran

The money goes to the government and not the ombudsman.
Community Veteran

Agreed. The money goes into the Treasury.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just been listening to an interview with a Midlands police dept that sells all unclaimed found property and criminals bits via eBay, up to cars and caravans.
All that money goes to central goverment and is then distributed back out, they might get some back but not all