Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I get? / what to search for?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Where can I get? / what to search for?

Howdy folks..

You know when you buy a spindle pack of blank CDs or DVDs you usually get those dummy CDs that are transparent? That is what i'm after.

Any ideas where i can get these dummy CDs? - I need them for a project and i'm drilling 32mm holes through them. I don't really want to use real CDs because the silver stuff will get everywhere.

Thanks

7up

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
15 REPLIES
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Where can I get? / what to search for?

Good question, I usually throw them away myself.

Maybe it would be worth posting a WANTED request in your local Freecycle Group, you're bound to get plenty of people offer you them. Failing that maybe contact Verbatim or some other disc manufacturer and ask nicely.

Pete11
Pro

It;s a bit of work, but if you soak cd's/dvd's in water with a little vinegar added you'll find that the silver (or other coloured backing) will come off. Overnight soaking is best. As for getting hold of some cd's that are no good, troll round car boots etc. for those 'freebies' that used to come through post advertising all sorts of stuff from internet packages to shareware progs.

Turps or ink removal stuff gets rid of the writing etc. on the front of the disk.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

There are people selling empty disc spindles on ebay. Might be worth asking if they come with the plastic disc spacer? I can see someone selling a pack of 10 small disc spindles for less than a tenner. Worth a try. I had no luck searching for this myself apart from ebay.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Pete11 

The OP is after the clear ones which are nothing more than the protection layer on the top and the bottom of a cake tub.

That's why he doesn't want to use normal discs because when he drills them it will make a mess.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I never mentioned using real discs. I said to ask ebay sellers if the cheap spindles being sold include the spacer plastic disc.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@jaread83

My mistake, sorry!

I was reading it from my emails and had quite a few as usual. I seem to get all the edited posts which gets confusing.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

MKSlinky wrote:
I seem to get all the edited posts which gets confusing.

This is a bug I am having Lithium look into at the moment. Apologies for this.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@jaread83

Does that Lithium bug also effect billing? Since I signed up to Plusnet 2 or 3 years ago I always get 2 x Bill Notifications and 2 x Referral Discount Notifications. Good job they're not printed on paper... 

Community Veteran

Oldjim wrote:

https://www.simplyplastics.com/catalog/discs/polycarbonate-round-discs/clear-polycarbonate-disc/c-24... may help

OJ I don't know how you always come up with these things but you always post top dollar stuff!

Community Veteran

jaread83 wrote:

This is a bug I am having Lithium look into at the moment. Apologies for this.

Might I suggest an upgrade to XenForo? It works a hell of a lot better than lithium, much more user-friendly and doesn't have this annoying quote thing that inserts lines and blank spaces that muck up the replies... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

@7up all I did was use Google to search for what you actually wanted which in this case was "clear plastic discs" and it was the top result

Community Veteran

Oldjim wrote:

@7up all I did was use Google to search for what you actually wanted which in this case was "clear plastic discs" and it was the top result

Ah! Clever and a good find but technically not actually the clear transparent CDs i was after lol.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Oldjim wrote:

https://www.simplyplastics.com... 

Add my vote for Simply Plastics. I've used them before and had good service.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.