cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the women?

N/A

Where are the women?

This morning I was watching the BBC news item about the Libyans spilling over the border into Tunisia to flee the fighting in their home country.
My eyesight is not as good as it was but in all the footage I only saw one woman and child.  They were all male and it looked as if the majority of them were under 30 years of age.  It is a terrible situation and one can't blame them for trying to get away but what have they done with the women and children?  Does anyone have any ideas?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Where are the women?

Isn't it the case that many men will have gone to find work in Libya leaving their families behind and it's them that are now trying to get out?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nadger
Rising Star

That's what I was thinking - most will be foreign workers and a lot seem to be Egyptians who can't escape the other way towards Egypt.
N/A

Well, possibly but if they are native Libyans let's just hope that the women and children who have (possibly) been left behind will be safe.  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

But isn't this always the way when any middle east issue is shown or reported on, women are very rarely seen or perhaps as a small vocally strident group, otherwise women are very much in the background of middle eastern life. Whatever advances are made from the revolutions in progress don't expect this to change much.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
alanb
Grafter

The news reports I've heard indicate that most of the people stuck at the Libyan border are migrant workers from places like Bangladesh and Turkey. There also seems to a be a lot of Egyptian migrant workers trying to get home too. Some of the news reports say that many of them to not have passports, which would be consistent with them being migrant workers, as it is common for employers to hold their passports until their work contract expires.
matt_2k34
Grafter

many of the women were protesting before it became rather violent (in the first 2-3 days of unrest, it seems)
Searching for "women protest libya" in google brings videos currently 4/5 days old, showing women protesting.
Sensibly, i think they've gotten out of the way... Huh