cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the swallows?

Tsonga
Grafter

Where are the swallows?

It's 1 June. We've just had a beautifully warm weekend. The swallows are normally here by now! I have not heard a single one yet this year. I am in Oxfordshire. Have they arrived where you are? Getting worried...
Smiley
41 REPLIES
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Where are the swallows?

Hundreds around our neck of the woods (Leeds), also saw quite a few in sunny Lancs at the weekend whilst visiting the Outlaws.
Denzil
Grafter

There are a few where I live. used to see loads when the land on the other side of the road was an organic dairy farm, because there were loads of flies around. The flies were annoying little biting things, so I am pleased to see the back of them, but it does mean most of the swallows have moved on.
Tsonga
Grafter

Oh well, that's reassuring! Wonder why they're avoiding us, then!  Grin
James
Grafter

Any Amazons?
Lurker
Grafter

Possibly - there was an article in one of the weekend newspaper magazines over the weekend about ebooks.
SWMBO was reading the article when I glanced over her shoulder, so its possible that I did see an Amazon Kinder.
/obscurity
James
Grafter

It must be about 20 years since I read it :/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I didn't realise that James was
a) that old
or
b) really precocious
Grin Grin
James
Grafter

The latter.
My reading and numeracy skills were very advanced at a young age.
Sadly it went downhill from there Sad
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: BlueRhizome
Oh well, that's reassuring! Wonder why they're avoiding us, then!  Grin

I can't compete with Jameseh's legendary sense of humour, but I thought I might have an answer to my own question: maybe they don't like headlice (the swallows, I mean, not the Amazons...)
Anyway, better get down to head number 2, one left to go!  Cry
James
Grafter

It's not particularly legendary, just generally a bit of a pain Smiley
Good luck with your hunt Smiley
StickyMick
Grafter

Quite an impressive sight if you stand on the beach, which is just 100yds from me, in mid May. You can actually see swarms of swallows coming inland, skimming the wave-tops. Sometimes you end up side-stepping so the li'l beggars don't hit you.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Same problem her in Mid Essex, not many Swallows or House Martins, but we have got Swifts.
Our Local hospital that in the 1800's was a Work House and has a preservation order on it, has just been converted into "Luxury appartments", it was used by the swifts for nesting, went down to look, they have put on a new roof, but left the swifts nests http://www.cityandcountry.co.uk/residential/present/old-st-michaels.php  the extension on the right, a sort of sun unit for the patients has been removed to reveal the original  http://www.oldsaintmichaels.co.uk/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

My usual house martins are breeding furiously (is that the right word  Embarrassed) in the nests outside our bedroom windows - that is in East Dorset
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: StickyMick
Quite an impressive sight if you stand on the beach, which is just 100yds from me, in mid May. You can actually see swarms of swallows coming inland, skimming the wave-tops. Sometimes you end up side-stepping so the li'l beggars don't hit you.

Sounds absolutely wonderful!
I associate the smell of barbecues and the warm summer evenings with the sight and sound of swallows flying in swarms above, in well-structured patterns... It it is the first time in my life that they're not here (they normally arrive in mid-May) and I find it too quiet and spooky!
I am missing them!  Embarrassed