cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the UK get majority coverage of FTTP services such as Gigabit Internet?

GrottoTree
Grafter

When will the UK get majority coverage of FTTP services such as Gigabit Internet?

Just wondering what will be the next big step for Openreach in regards to drastic speed improvements and when that will be?

Fedup of 35 Down / 6 Up via VDSL over a copper phone line. Running fiber only to the cabinets in the street and then relying on the existing phone line does not seem very future proof nor a good investment in the long run.

VDSL goes up to  35MHz, how much more bandwidth can be utilised on UK phone lines, taking into account the average length and condition of UK phone lines. Plus, phone lines are not rated data cables.

I live a few miles away from Redhill in Surrey, and am wondering how many more years I will have to wait before I get true Gigiabit broadband without going down the leased line route or at least a 100/100 service?

Regards: Elliott.

14 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: When will the UK get majority coverage of FTTP services such as Gigabit Internet?

How long is a piece of string would be a better question.

Here in west Wales we were 'promised' FTTC by March 2014. Superfast broadband from a superslow company and what exactly is majority coverage anyway - majority of the country or majority of the population because if it's the latter we'll have more chance of the Second Coming before Openreach turn up around here with it. 

British Telecom are a worse than a bad joke. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: When will the UK get majority coverage of FTTP services such as Gigabit Internet?

some parts of the uk are still on adsl of 2 meg down and next to nothing up lol .......... 

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, tell me about it.

I'd been stuck on less than 1Mb/s for the last six months, and that's not a joke.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I think the phrase "When hell freezes over" comes to mind, BT-Openreach are only in it for the profit, their shareholders are in it for the profit, and the customers, er, we're kind of forgotten about in terms of keeping us up-to-date with technology...

It's sad that when sleepy backwater places in Canada can get 300 down, 150 up over FTTP, meanwhile us brits are lucky to even get ADSL out in the sticks...

Minivanman
Hero

"According to the CIRA 2013 Factbook, Canadians spend more time online than anyone else in the world—an average of 45 hours a month. They also watch more online video, with an average of 300 views per month in 2011.[2]"

They would get out more, but I guess it snows a lot! Cheesy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Canada

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

VDSL2 is currently using up to 17MHz, but if 35Mb is the limit due to the length of your line, using 30 or 35 MHz wouldn't help, and G.fast from the cabinet would be no use to you either.

I think it's more likely that in a few years time, you'll be able to pay for FTTP on demand if you want higher speeds.

Community Veteran

Last week I was offered 1 Gbps symmetric uncontended over fibre for my business. It would cost only £899. I believe that was per month.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
GrottoTree
Grafter

I switched to Plusnet FTTC/VDSL2 in October 2013.

I was getting around 50Mbps down / 15Mbps up for the first several months of using VDSL2, then my speed slowly dropped over time as more people adopted FTTC services in my area. Wish I had a time machine or a way to restore my original speeds!

The 35MHz was just a number I quoted from Wikipedia. :/

Yea, that £900 per month for 1Gbps is well out of my reach. Would also like consumer ISP's to start focusing on symmetrical speed based services more.

nanotm
Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

I think the phrase "When hell freezes over" comes to mind,

It's sad that when sleepy backwater places in Canada can get 300 down, 150 up over FTTP, meanwhile us brits are lucky to even get ADSL out in the sticks...

theres a town called "hell" that freezes over for most of the year but that aside,

BT originally planned to roll out full fttp and then phase in upgrades to the speed offered but those plans were tossed out with the bath water when London got the 2012 Olympics bid in and they needed to focus everything on making sure terabit fibre connections were available for the broadcasters etc to use, then the EU stuck its oar in and blocked the governments ability to payroll the upgrade roll out (instead we have to bid for grants from the EU fund to provide the upgrades) not to mention all the nimbys crying about roadworks or new cabinets and blocking rollouts for services.

still now that we have brexit on the way maybe we can start ignoring all that pointless EU legislation designed to stifle service provision and BT can stop using all those junk ECI cabinets they were forced to buy under quota's and get on with doing a proper job of providing the communications infrastructure for the future as advertised in 1996 when they started down the fibre everywhere route.... and of course pigs might fly....

oh and if they stopped retiring all their in house staff and using contractors to avoid tax payments and pension liabilities they might actually do stuff on time to a decent standard

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

I get the impression that more investment is being put into G Fast at the moment rather than FTTP.

Me and @HarryB have provided a few farms out in the middle of nowhere with FTTP in our time.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Community Veteran

MattyC wrote:
Me and @HarryB have provided a few farms out in the middle of nowhere with FTTP in our time.

If it was that B4RN project (or similar), that's a pretty good example of showing up BT-Openreach, because if a small group of people can supply Gigabit FTTP to rural properties at a cost of about £150 per connection (and £30/month after that), then why can't BT-Openreach? No line rental, no caps, no hidden charges, no messing the customer about, just fibre to the property and go! One up for the people there... Smiley

Meanwhile, places like where I live have old copper lines that are literally falling apart, with trunks to the exchange filled with "dead copper" due to degradation, water ingress, and endless bending of the wires (resulting in broken wires inside the insulation) when an engineer is trying to find a free pair that hasn't failed, in the long run it'd be infinitely cheaper just to pull the copper out (and get money back trading it in for scrap!! Funny ) and run fibre, after all, if "men in sheds" can do it for rural communities, so can BT...

nanotm
Pro

because unlike BTOR the b4rn (and others) project(s) didn't have to contend with some die hard local saying no to the proposed upgrade works....

as to the cost, it should be a lot less in cost terms to lay fibre lines from the exchange because BT has a machine that can do the job in 48 hours falt (that includes digging the trenches and laying the cable and filling it in again, with the onsite engineer beign required purely to push the end of the fibre line int othe termination point on each building and a linesman to operate the line laying machine..... hell they can even save time by using the line replacing machine to spool up the existing bundle of copper ....

but then again BT outsourced all those jobs and the equipment to save on paying income tax and pension liabilities ......

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think it will be sometime and likely after my sojourn on Earth has ended,Grin

Personally my view on Brexit is that how much effect it will have on FTTx cannot be sure at all. I think there is a dichtomy between what the elites are wanting, a vibrant outgoing successful nation, and a let's-have-old- Great-Britain-and-Ireland back nostalgia of the masses. This is witnessed by calls for the return of imperial weights and measures, and more funnily by Matt's cartoon. If that's what the nation wants, supported by the likes of Bill Cash, lool forward to the return of Strowger and the telegram messenger.Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Nah, the cost of Strowger equipment would bankrupt BT these days, and they'd never ever bother fixing it, and by they I mean their outsourced contractors that turn up, suck their teeth and go home leaving everything still broken... Grin