Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When we are dead.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

When we are dead.

Apparently there are about 45 million dead people on facebook with some estimates claiming that 8,000 users die each day - so at some point in time there will be more dead users than living ones.

So have we now become immortal, and will Plusnet always have us down as members of this forum? Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: When we are dead.

I've wondered that if the human race disappeared tomorrow what would aliens make of us looking through the remains?

A strange race where every abode had a silver screen in the corner upon which they worshipped a parade of dead people.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

No wonder, then, that it's so clumsily difficult to find some, who says, "I'm on Facebook: you can look me up"!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Facebook, its mission ' to make the world more open and connected ', more like antisocial behavior to me. Never have never will use it. I read Mark suggests Facebook becoming a bit like a church. Give a man lots of money and watch him go mad. 

Fixes: 125

We had a similar thread back in 2013 regarding our own forum members who have disappeared without trace.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Minivanman wrote:

So have we now become immortal, and will Plusnet always have us down as members of this forum? Roll eyes

Only for as long as they exist I would imagine. Your immortality lies in their hands so to speak.

Luzern
Pro

It's a no-no to take some one off any sort of list, as the numbers of members can be a marketing point and kudos giving. Who, after all bar folks like us delve into such matters. We've lived here since 2002, and get reminders from the last occupants' boiler man, likewise the previous abode from 78 to 02.

Churches, you get utterances like, " I know he moved 20 years back, but he's related to Mrs Bumbler, who wouldn't like us doing that"!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Perhaps they'll start a religion based on whatever ancient texts are left.  This forum, for example, has rules (commandments) and solutions to life's problems, not to mention a hierarchy.  Some contributors have even performed miracles, like getting through to PN support within three rings (that's just a rumour but it will have to do for now), and obtaining refunds and cash-backs on time.  This site doesn't promise eternal life but will provide an upgrade at no extra charge.

So if you are an alien reading this in the distant future, here is a warning from Seasoned Pro Jonpe:  Don't do it!  It'll only lead to conflict.

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

Mav wrote:

We had a similar thread back in 2013 regarding our own forum members who have disappeared without trace.

Having been on the internet since the mid 90s, I've seen websites, forums, communities and social networks come and go. Either through people moving on to different platforms, different platforms being bought up and absorbed into bigger ones, or just individual platforms and individual people dying off.

For whatever reason it's always reminded me of a physical high street that has seen shops and stores opening, closing, switching ownership and then eventually dying as online shopping has killed off the brick and mortar.

There's blogs and forums I used to follow that haven't been posted to in several years, if not ten plus years and it always left me with that empty feeling of an old industrial town that's had the heart ripped out of it.

Which is a bizarre feeling to have about something abstract.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

Apparently there are about 45 million dead people on facebook

Must smell a bit then... Shocked