Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When more is less.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

When more is less.

Remember when letters were sent at a cost we could easily afford, and we'd be more than happy if we had a reply within a couple of weeks? Now we send emails instantly only for them to be instantly ignored - and now less than happy because of it.

I can appreciate that the ease in which we can send them results in an almost overwhelming amount some people and organisations must get as well as the pro and cons of both methods but how on earth did we find ourselves in a situation where more really is less.

Are we being increasingly ignored with ease? - it certainly seems that way to me, it really does and what a pity that when and email is sent we cannot get an instant receipt or an instant notification if the recipient reads, deletes, or dumps it.... or can we.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: When more is less.

Did somebody post something in here?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Something about daily mail I think?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Go back a decade and a half I used to make a few bob every week writing to the letter page of a couple of newspapers.

A few years later email had virtually killed that. I guess papers became so inundated with emails that "prizes" were reduced or dropped entirely. With no more effort than the press of a button on their PC every man and their dog could get their name in print.

Minivanman
Hero

@billnotben

Sounds about right, letters were more considered and replies were less flippant.

Give then trouble we had to go to (although it may not have seemed like it at the time) more thought was given what was written and more respect was extend to those who had taken the time to write and to those who had replied.

How the world has changed for the worse eh, and we don't have to look far to see it either.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Imagine a Forum like this one, if it relied on hand written postal letters for input.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Now that puts a whole new meaning to the term 'Junk Mail'. Grin

Minivanman
Hero

@AlaricAdair

Well forums like this would not exist, but for those that do it's a pity when mickey take often replaces that courtesy.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Chasing after the postman down the road so that one could retrieve the letter in order to 'edit' it, was always a bit of a bore. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just think of all those love letters you wrote to swmbo ( and perhaps a few other people before you met her).

What do people do these days ?

Is it just a few x's in a email or Smitten

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

I was thinking along similar lines just a couple of days ago. 2 young teenagers on the same bus as me, they were sat next to each other yet sending text messages to each other. The mind boggles.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

... love letters you wrote to swmbo ( and perhaps a few other people before you met her).

What do people do these days ?

It's called Sexting nowadays Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Blimey, what sort of love letters did you used to write! Wink

Community Veteran

Slightly OT but the universal "penny" post http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/penny-post-delivered was a great British invention and I'm sorry to see it's demise. The idea that a crofter in the Highlands of Scotland could have his mail delivered for the same cost as a city dweller did so much for social cohesion and enhanced so many lives. As @Minivanman recalls recieving and sending letters was a great part of our lives and a necessary social skill.

I also remember various postbus services https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postbus when visiting Switzerland the Postbus delivered mail and​ passengers along with anything else needed!  The same was true of isolated areas in Scotland. All gone now I believe. Cry

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

And there is still no standing charge for the Post Office despite it being more labour-intensive.