When litening to music from vinyl ==> digital do you prefer to hear the hisses

& crackles for nostalgia ?? ?Huh
I know I do Wink
Or
Do you prefer it to be digitally remastered
6 REPLIES
thejudge
Grafter

Re: When litening to music from vinyl ==> digital do you prefer to hear the hisses

When someone said to the late, great John Peel that CDs were far better than vinyl because there was no surface noise, Peel retorted:
"Listen mate, life has surface noise!"
Fixes: 125

Re: When litening to music from vinyl ==> digital do you prefer to hear the hisses

What if CDs had been invented first.
Would be  be saying of vinyl "Wow, finally we get to hear it as it should be" or "can't stand all this noise and clicks - let's get the old CD player back out"?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You have to look at this logically.
With Vinyl you have no choice - you put up with the hisses and like it.
With digital you have a choice - you can have the sound completely clear. IF you want hisses then buy a cheap 99p set of head / ear phones from ebay and you're sorted  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Maybe there is an audio equivalent of the 'old movie effect'.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Roberto0151
Grafter

Obviously Beethoven wrote his music above a fish and chip shop, so that the sound of vinyl is what the composer expected and wanted  Cheesy
PowerLee
Rising Star

Quote from: Strat
Maybe there is an audio equivalent of the 'old movie effect'.

There must be somewhere, Mark & Lard used to play Lard's classic cut's back on Radio one 10 years ago & used an effect on older records for the crackle effect to make the record's original word's sound different & slightly rude - how they repeatedly got away with it in the early afternoon is beyond me.
Some of them are on Youtube if you search Lard's classic cuts