cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is garden waste not garden waste

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

When is garden waste not garden waste

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-567118/Council-refuses-pensioners-garden-waste-bin--cabbage-...
Retired milkman Barry Freezer made the mistake of dumping cabbage stalks in his <garden waste recycling> bin and incurred the wrath of the council's waste collection supremos.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: When is garden waste not garden waste

Fortunately our council has a good composting scheme and the green bins take kitchen and garden waste, up to sizeable branches from shrubs!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I don`t think he should have been given a "red card" over this.  Obviously the council have to abide by the defra rules, but the binmen should be given clearer instructions as how to handle such cases with diplomacy and tact.  Yes.... Even binmen have these qualities, if you let them.  The binmen should have talked to the guy first, then put a yellow tag on his bin, (to indicate that next time they come, to check and make sure it is ok)  As the guy says, he pays extra for the privelidge of council disposal of his garden waste, and the council should also respect that.  I feel sorry for him as he is between a rock and a hard place on this one.... particularly when he talks about his diseased potatoe tops.
nadger
Rising Star

I had a warning note from the bin police a few months ago when recycling switched from orange sacks to orange lidded wheeled bin. Seems that plastic food containers ( from supermarket) weren't acceptable albeit they carry recycling symbol.
I had some email correspondence with the head honcho of the bp. Seems that their recycling plant wasn't fully capable of handling plastics so I left it that they'd inform people when it was.
We've all heard of council snoops but sifting through peoples bin, at the roadside, must be a pride generating job Huh
At least we don't have to pay extra for our green bin service. Now where is dusty when you need him  Crazy
Community Veteran

A very important point to remember is that this was reported in the Daily Mail  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran

What I find really odd about that is the comment in the stories regarding meat. Our council actively encourages people to include meat, bones, fish etc. in the green bin saying the process deals with it perfectly well, whilst warning against putting such waste in household garden compost bins (I think mostly because it encourages rats).  Crazy
jmd
Grafter

We don't have a garden waste recycling bin.  We are allowed to put small amounts of garden waste  in our green bin.  But the greeen bin is normal rubbish bin - we have a blue bin for recycling! Roll eyes

edit; each is collected fortnightly - this week it is the green bin! that goes out this evening.
Community Veteran

A brown wheelie bin for garden waste (collected fortnightly)
Black for land-fill (collected every week)
A green box (collected every 2 weeks) for glass, cans, clothing and foil
A sack (every 2 weeks) for paper
A different sack (every 2 weeks) for card
And a plastic bag (every 2 weeks) for plastic bottles (but only bottles)
The problem is that my wife hates untidiness, so outside the back door, we have to have 3 flip top bins (one each for paper, card and plastic) and the green box.  It does take up quite a bit of room.  Huh
John
Community Veteran

we have the standard black bin for garbage, and a black bin with a green lid for trash.....
(garbage = anything that doesn`t go in recycle bin)
(trash = recycle bin)  paper, cardboard, plastic bottles (milk type and fizzy) but not the caps, and tins and drink cans.
both collected fortnightly. 
we are fortunate that we have a household waste site about 1.5 miles away, which is very busy, but you can take garden waste, (anything green, or tree branches up to 100mm) and dump it in a very big skip.  they take rubble and electrical items, they even have a skip especially for wood. (old fence panels, floorboards, left overs from diy jobs....)
In Mildenhall, they even had a skip for black sacks, and all other plastic bags too !. Plus one for glass (windows and white glass bottles)
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Now where is dusty when you need him  Crazy

We banned him  Wink
Community Veteran

Not    "binned" him,    then ?  Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

Black bin for general household rubbish.
Blue bin for paper and cardboard.
They are trialling a garden waste bin in a small area (not ours) and I wish they'd hurry up. Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
A very important point to remember is that this was reported in the Daily Mail  Roll eyes

And on our Local BBC Television a week ago.
Also if that gent is such a keen gardener, he should put his garden bits into the Compost bin which is behind him.  admitted some things should not be composted - wild violets, Chickweed and definitely Japanese Knot weed - that should be burnt
My Council - Braintree Essex- is about the Best in Essex for collecting, they take most items, plastic - of most types, but not CD Cases, Got a pencil from then last week made from CD cases but they dont take them Crazy
Cardboard and small paper,  Large A4 type paper (It recycles better), Tins steel and Ally provided clean, a wheely bin for general rubbish, another bin for Kitchen scraps and Garden.
Other council areas in Essex arnt so lucky.
nadger
Rising Star

We get 3 wheeled bins in South Beds. Dark Grey, Green and Grey with Orange Top.
Two collected one week and one the next - overall not working too badly. We visit bottle bank, in Tesco carpark, when shopping.