cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is a sword not a sword.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

When is a sword not a sword.

Q:  When is a Samurai sword not a Samurai sword ?
  A:  When it's a white stick !
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218945/Terror-blind-man-tasered-police-I-thought-theyd-kill...
Perhaps the Policeman needs to visit specsavers. !
On a more serious note it's quite a worry when the Police make mistakes like this as they could have easily killed this chap.
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: When is a sword not a sword.

Then there would have been a 10 year enquiry Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It's not that surprising as many police officers don't get out much. On the beat that is.
Just as well he didn't have a gun.
And while things like this, and the man who was battered to the ground and later died, goes on why is such a fuss still being made of the Tory MP who allegedly called a policeman a pleb?
At least the MP apologised while the police tend to only issue generic "apologies" through their lawyers when forced to.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
When is a sword not a sword? Reminds me of an incident in my youth. A group of us was on a school trip to the London science museum. It was straight in the front door and out again to the nearest strip joint. As you did as a teenager back in those days. A little while later a friend saw a must have item, in a back street shop, for his collection. 
So there we were, half a dozen of us, walking up a back street with my friends newly purchased black cane (a sword stick) clacking on the ground. Then just like a scene out of the Sweeney a big black Mercedes roars up the road and swerves on the pavement in front of us. The proverbial heavies in suits got out. A couple standing front of us while one had my stick welding friend up against the wall with his legs dangling.
From what we heard and what my friend later said it seems one of the Merc mens pal had been run through by a similar stick a few minutes earlier.
My friend said they just believed his innocent explanation but I tended to think it was the shaking, very pale face, and all the spots that gave away his innocence in the matter.
Thinking about it now those men may have been thugs and gangsters but they showed a lot more measured restraint than the policeman in question.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If the police officer was far enough away not to know it was a sword then he/she was far enough away not to have been at any immediate risk if it had been a sword. Tasers were intended for use to protect officers and public as a last resort bar using firearms. Given that tasers can be lethal their use should not be taken lightly. If the officer concerned has a gun I suspect he would have used it. Remember  the chap "armed" with a table leg who was shot dead?.
There seem to be a number of police officers who enjoy using excessive force. I recall reading about a pensioner who refused to get out of his car when required to do so. He wasn't a threat just stroppy.  He was CS gassed. Perhaps he deserved punishment but CS gas could kill someone who already has difficulty breathing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: alanf
If the police officer was far enough away not to know it was a sword then he/she was far enough away not to have been at any immediate risk if it had been a sword.

According to the report in the linky the range of the Tazer wires is about 21feet (max).... so he should have his eyes,as well as his ability to recognise threats from somebody walking very slowly away from him, tested to the ultimate....
Wonder if he can read a standard car number plate at the regulation distance  ?
Community Veteran

The police officers involved in this outrageous event should be put on bike parking duties in Downing Street.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I think in cases like this they should be treated like anyone else and face charges of assault.
There is no possible excuse for them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In this particular instance the Policeman involved did not even get suspended !
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

He should have been - from a great height.  Wink
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

The police statement particularly concerns me.
One of the officers believed he had located the offender. Despite asking the man to stop, he failed to do so and the officer discharged his Taser.
My questions would be did he identify himself as an armed policeman (as he was talking to someone from behind)?
And did he specify who he was talking to (like hey you with the white stick) as I assume there was many other people around?

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

shocking  Roll eyes
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

The Police Commissioner for the Met is suggesting that all his officers could carry tasers.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
the Policeman involved did not even get suspended !

CPS decides "Insufficient evidence" for prosecution. IPCC "recommended gross misconduct proceedings should be brought"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-23914417