cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is a pothole not a pothole?

Steve
Seasoned Pro

When is a pothole not a pothole?

Not until it's 60mm deep according to this council office.
Cost-cutting Perth and Kinross Council has declared potholes will have to be 50% deeper in future before they consider filling them.
Last month local authority chiefs admitted that the road network has been severely affected by potholes caused by prolonged wet weather and the subsequent freezing temperatures and thaws.
However, when setting its budget for 2016/17 the cost-cutting local authority agreed not to fill a hole until it reaches a depth of 60mm in the hope it can save £120,000. The previous minimum depth was 40mm.
The decision has caused anger among road users who fear the potholes will only deteriorate over time, leaving a bigger hazard to be dealt with in the future.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/deep-trouble-potholes-to-sink-to-new-depths-in-...

Wonder if it will catch on...
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: When is a pothole not a pothole?

Typical Scots ! !  They are more tight  than a Yokshu Tyke  Cheesy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Grin Next time you visit Scotland get as B&B then we are finished Cheesy
Community Veteran

?  ?  ?  doesn`t make sense what you posted..  Undecided
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Probably not no it was tongue in cheek. But I see you are serious about the Scots being tight fisted. It's the council that are doing this not the general public. Aren't all councils the same?Huh
Community Veteran

my comment was  light hearted... funny,... and comprehensible !... still don`t understand the bit about  "get as B&B...... "  as it was incomprehensible..
As for all councils being scottish... No, I don`t think so.... however, they all seem to make sure they are paid a salary comensurate with their ( perceived ) importance/position,... while working hard to source cuts to services  (e.g. make potholes deeper, cos it`t cheaper) ( poetic licence....  ?? )  Cheesy, so there is enough left from the budget to cover the increase in salary due to them working so hard for the public and saving so much money.  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Pot holes are common in most parts of the country, there is a main road running between Preston & Blackpool full of deep pot holes and been like that for ages quite annoying considering what we are all paying in Road Tax and Council Tax.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Potholes are indeed a problem, even for those of us on foot, if you're crossing a road looking left and right for traffic (as we've been taught in school as kids) and not at the road itself, you can fall afoul of a pothole, which results in an injury claim and compensation being paid out, so, it'd be infinitely cheaper for councils to fill the blummin' things in properly... Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

In Sheffield they are currently resurfacing every road and public footpath in the city.
However they are still busy filling in potholes where a full resurfacing hasn't been done and there are a lot of them Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Getting quite bad on the road near us that goes up to the local school.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Quote from: Strat
In Sheffield they are currently resurfacing every some roads and public footpaths in the city.

Plenty of roads my end of town that haven't been resurfaced or even had the potholes filled in for years Sad
It's less bumpy going over the speedbumps than it is the potholes on some of the roads near me.
-Unless you're just referring to the city centre.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 47

No...the plan is to do every adopted road within the city boundary along with footpaths and street lighting.
https://sheffield.gov.uk/SCC-Home/roads/works/schemes/streetsaheadproject.html
Find yourself on the map here https://sheffield.gov.uk/SCC-Home/roads/works/schemes/streetsaheadproject/works-schedules/works-map....
It's a lengthy project though.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Ah right, looks like the main 2 roads I was thinking about are on the schedule for 2016 and 2017.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 125

There are so many potholed roads in the Thanet and Canterbury areas and it doesn't look like anyone is doing anything about them.
Occasionally you will see chalk/paint marks around some of them but nothing seems to happen.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Potholes are a low cost version of speed bumps and could improve road safety by slowing people down. They just need proper signposting.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.