cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is a cold call not a cold call?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When is a cold call not a cold call?

I have in the last few minutes invited two very well dressed and earnest ladies off of my door-step.
I pointed to the discrete but obvious notice on my front door that asks circular deliverers and others like them including cold callers not to bother.
Having pointed out the notice, one responded that they had seen it but they were not cold calling (I had already spotted the leaflet in her hand that had a large religious cross on it, it is getting near Easter)
I said "dress it up in whatever language you like but, if I didn't invite you here, or you are not delivering something I ordered, then you are cold calling" and invited them very politely to leave.
This is not the first time, the local Jehovah Witnesses do this with some regularity. Why is it religious groups seem to think they are above courteous requests. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: When is a cold call not a cold call?

Have you noticed that the Jehovah Witnesses keep details of the addresses they call at in a little book? I wonder what they write?
I pleased to see the government are putting in better protection for us against cold callers on the telephone. I wonder though how they will deal with the calls coming from overseas Undecided
Community Veteran

Yes, I came in right at the end of a radio interview about that this morning, didn't hear all of it, but someone who seems to know what he is talking about was saying that proposal is not all it seems to be.
Watch that space...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Have you noticed that the Jehovah Witnesses keep details of the addresses they call at in a little book? I wonder what they write?

Yes, I asked once, but was told it was nothing pertaining me or this address. So they can send a message to St Peter (do JW's believe in St Peter?) to ensure we're not let in I expect.

Community Veteran

I observed them making notes after calling at every door. Their book will presumably contain notes of empty house. This could be very useful to a thief.
Community Veteran

Here's a link from LBC that explains it a bit clearer.
Cold Calling
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Is it the Jehovah's bunch that if you tell them your a blood donor they run a mile? Can't remember now as I must be in their little book.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran

I had a guy selling solar panels last afternoon. He said he was operating a government scheme.
But I had Paddy the Lurcher looking over the crook of my elbow (he's a big dog) and the salesman couldn't get away quick enough when I told him I wasn't interested.  Grin Grin Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We had a couple of JW's at our door. The guy opened a book and pointed at religious pictures in it with writing on the opposite page.
I asked him could he read the writing on the page to which he replied, "yes" so I then asked him if he could read that why could he not read the notice on my door which said no cold callers ?
No reply.
Perhaps he thought it being summer  the word cold did not apply .
Wink
Fixes: 47

But Jehovah’s Witnesses believe their messages are so important to everyone that it's more than their job's worth to be put off by a "No Cold Callers' notice.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Maybe, Strat  - but I have a legally enforcable notice on my front door, and if they, or anyone else wants to disregard it, be it on their own heads.  Smiley
John
sjptd
Grafter

but I have a legally enforcable notice on my front door  What is the law that makes the notice enforceable?
Maybe a good way of getting rid of JWs was my elder brother aged 9 (before I was born) who called loudly to my mother 'Will you please tell these gentlemen that the Kingdom of God is not necessarily at hand?'
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

We were cold called the other day on the phone and the wouldn't tell me who they were or what company they were from until I answered some questions.
They soon got short shrift.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: sjptd
but I have a legally enforcable notice on my front door  What is the law that makes the notice enforceable?
Maybe a good way of getting rid of JWs was my elder brother aged 9 (before I was born) who called loudly to my mother 'Will you please tell these gentlemen that the Kingdom of God is not necessarily at hand?'

Sorry - you'll have to wait until tomorrow for that answer -  I'm away from home atm, and can't remember offhand.
John
Community Veteran

The last time the JW's cold called, I answered the door, pointed at the "not cold callers" sign,  told them I worked nights as a lorry driver and they had interrupted my sleep. I would now not be able to get back to sleep and would probably fall asleep at the wheel of my lorry and run over a load of kids or something.
An absolute fabrication but they haven't been back since .........